Adult Entry FAQ

The Adult Entry Program recognizes that adults returning to or entering college have needs quite different from those of the traditional student. Many adults have acquired college level learning in a variety of settings. The opportunity to apply for credit for these learning experiences means savings in time, energy and money. The adult student who has never attended college before or who is returning after an absence of some years can clearly recognize the value of advising and counseling services provided by the AEP staff. The entire program was designed to take into consideration the experience, needs and maturity of the adult student.
An associate degree requires a minimum of 60 credits; a BA and BS degree require a minimum of 120 credits. Catalog requirements for the general education program, majors and minors (if needed) must be completed for all programs, including 30 course credits from Winona State in you Junior/Senior years and a 2.0 average (on a 4.0 scale). Individual departments may require a higher GPA and additional credits.
Adult Entry Program students may choose to major in any of the academic programs listed in the current undergraduate catalog. New Adult Entry Program students should meet with an advisor in the Outreach and Continuing Education Department for assistance in planning their academic program and completing the course registration process. Students who have a declared major at the time of admission should meet with a departmental advisor from the program in which they are planning to major before registering for classes. After their first semester of coursework, declared majors should meet with their assigned advisor in the department housing their major program while undeclared majors should meet with an undeclared major advisor in the Advising and Retention Office. Students majoring in Professional Studies will continue to meet with an Adult Entry Program advisor from the Outreach and Continuing Education Department.
  • credit for prior learning
  • Winona State University classes
  • internships
  • credit by examination and CLEP exams.
  • military training
  • transfer from another accredited post-secondary institution
  • There are many different educational opportunities available each semester. An advisor will provide information and assistance to help you achieve your educational goal.
The Adult Entry advisor and the student explore the goals the student has in mind, and the nature of the student's prior learning. After being admitted, the documentation and assessment process may begin.

Formal post-secondary education is evaluated from official transcripts the student obtains by writing to the schools attended. This step must be done when applying for admission to Winona State University.

Informal educational experiences that are equivalent to college-level learning are described and documented by the student in consultation with the Adult Entry advisor. These experiences may include, but are not limited to, work skills, non-credit seminars and workshops, volunteer work, leisure or recreational skills, talents, or independent study.

Once the student has accumulated evidence, appropriate WSU departments are contacted for a recommendation of credit equivalency. Approved credits are then placed on the student's record.
  • A one-time only admission fee of $20 is required of all new students.
  • The MN State Colleges and Universities Board determines tuition for classes.
  • Fees may vary depending on the location of the class.
  • There is a $50 fee for the assessment of prior learning in each academic area; in addition, a charge equal to half the resident undergraduate credit hour tuition rate will be assessed for each credit of equivalency coursework granted.
Financial aid is available through:
Winona State University Financial Aid Office
Maxwell Hall
Winona, MN 55987
Any adult can apply for admission to the Adult Entry Program. Admission is based on a minimum of 4 years since completion of high school or GED completion for students who have not previously enrolled at a post-secondary institution. Transfer students must have a minimum 2.4 GPA from their transfer institution(s) or have a minimum of one year since their last enrollment.

Adult Entry Application

For further assistance, call:
507.457.5080 or 800.242.8978