Welcome to Accounting
Committed faculty. Excellent curriculum. AACSB College accredited.
- According to a recent survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, "accounting ranks #1 in job demand". (NCAE Research: Job Outlook 2011)
- Accounting provides the knowledge needed to collect, measure, interpret and communicate economic information for decision-making.
- Winona State University provides a rigorous academic program and the opportunity for applied experience. Students will improve their communication and critical thinking skills. We focus on using accounting information without neglecting the preparation of the information.
- Our program emphasizes the importance of obtaining professional certification. The program at WSU is consistent with the subject matter of the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examinations.
- WSU graduates regularly perform at a level significantly higher than the national average on the CPA exam.
WSU CPA Results Rank Among the Best in the Region
- The Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Exam pass rates of WSU students rank the highest of all MnSCU schools, according to the 2011 edition of "Candidate Performance on the Uniform CPA Exam”.
- The 2010 CPA exam results show WSU students accomplished a 57.5 percent pass rate overall, surpassing the national average of 48.3 percent. In comparison, pass rates at other MnSCU institutions were reported as follows: Bemidji State, 43.1 percent; Metropolitan State, 42.8 percent; Minnesota State-Mankato, 51.7 percent; Minnesota State Moorhead, 52.1 percent; and St. Cloud State, 51.2 percent.
- The Uniform CPA Exam ensures that only qualified individuals become licensed as U.S. Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), the only licensed qualification in accounting.
- The Accounting major prepares students for both entry-level opportunities and long-term career success.
Department of Accounting
Dr. Gloria McVay