Welcome to Accounting
Committed faculty. Excellent curriculum. AACSB College accredited.
- According to a recent survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, "accounting ranks #2 in job demand". (NCAE Research: Job Outlook 2015)
- The WSU accounting major provides the knowledge and expertise needed to collect, measure, interpret and communicate economic information used in business decision-making.
- Winona State University provides its students with a rigorous academic program coupled with opportunities to gain applied experience in accounting while in school.
- Accounting majors learn skills needed to analyze and interpret accounting information, and also to gather and prepare accounting information in accordance with professional standards.
- The WSU accounting program emphasizes the importance of obtaining professional certification after graduation. The accounting curriculum has been carefully aligned to cover all major content areas on the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examinations.
WSU CPA Results Rank Among the Best in the Region
The focus of the WSU accounting program is to prepare graduates for professional success in the accounting profession. The program prides itself on excellent classroom teaching and superior student learning. Unique accounting electives offered in the fourth year focus on preparation for high level performance on professional certification exams shortly after graduation. (e.g. CPA exam, CMA exam).
- In 2014 accounting graduates of WSU (first-time candidates with a bachelor's degree only) had average uniform CPA examination scores higher than any other accounting program in the Minnesota State system.
- WSU graduates (first-time candidates with a bachelor's degree only) achieved a 63.5 percent average pass rate in 2014 on the CPA exam, surpassing the national average pass rate which is 49.5 percent.
- Accounting majors will be well prepared for entry-level jobs, and also for long-term career success.
- Accounting majors have excellent entry-level job opportunities after graduation and also are well situation for long-term career success.
Department of Accounting
Dr. Bill Ortega