We require the following for high school and first year students applying to Winona State.
16 High School Preparation Requirements
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of mathematics (2 years algebra; 1 year geometry)
- 3 years of science (1 year biological science; 1 year chemistry or physics; all should include labs)
- 3 years of social studies (including 1 year U.S. history)
- 2 years of same world language (American Sign Language accepted; no sampler/review courses)
- 1 year of specified electives (world cultures, computer science, arts, music)
ACT or SAT Score and Class Rank Requirements
A student who meets the above preparation requirements must also have:
- Composite ACT of 21 or better with top two-thirds of high school class rank
- Composite ACT of 18, 19, or 20 with top half of high school class rank
Students typically apply before the end of 12th grade. Consider these statistics: 76% of last year's entering class graduated in the top half of their high school class; 34% were in the top quarter with an average ACT of 23. The top one-eighth of the freshman class averaged 26 or higher on the ACT.
We urge all students, especially those eligible for academic scholarships, to apply early
Admission to the University is the first step. Some degree programs may have additional standards for entrance into the major after you are enrolled at WSU. These include College of Business and College of Education degrees; and Nursing, Social Work, and Athletic Training majors.
Minnesota high school juniors or seniors may be eligible to take courses at a Minnesota state college/university for dual high school and college credit through the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options program. PSEO students receive tuition, fees and books at no cost to them. If living on campus, normal room and board costs apply.
To participate, juniors need top 15% class rank OR 26 ACT or higher; seniors need top 25% high school class rank OR ACT 25 or higher. Application deadline for fall term is May 1; spring term Nov. 15. Continuing PSEO students must re-apply for every term of enrollment, meet original standards, and keep good academic standing at WSU. Warrior Success Center assists with PSEO advising and enrollment.
Participating in WSU PSEO does not automatically ensure enrollment after high school graduation; a normal freshman application process is required. Contact your school counselor or Kim Gresham at 507.457.5102 for PSEO application forms. Applications must be approved by a high school official before submitting.