Winona State offers world-class education with the tremendous value of public university cost. In addition to a variety of forms of financial aid, students may be eligible for a number of academic scholarships. All applicants are automatically evaluated for academic awards, so there is no extra paperwork to complete.
Freshman Only Scholarships
*Renewable for sophomore, junior, senior years based on college GPA
Outstanding Academic Honor Awards ($3,500) per academic year*
- Top 5% or 3.90 cumulative high school GPA on 4.0 scale of graduating class and 32 ACT/1470 SAT
WSU Foundation Board Scholarships ($4,000) per academic year*
- Top 5% or 3.90 cumulative high school GPA on 4.0 scale of graduating class and 28 ACT/1320 SAT; eligible students invited to apply; incl. essay & interview
Presidential Honor Scholarships ($1,000-2,500)*
- Top 5% or 3.90 cumulative high school GPA on 4.0 scale of graduating class and 28 ACT/1320 SAT = $2,500 per academic year
- Top 10% or 3.80 cumulative high school GPA on 4.0 scale and 27 ACT/1290 SAT = $1,500 per academic year
- Top 15% or 3.70 cumulative high school GPA on 4.0 scale and 26 ACT/1260 SAT = $1,000 per academic year
- Top 50% or 3.30 cumulative high school GPA on 4.0 scale and 28 ACT/1320 SAT = $1,000 per academic year
- #1 or #2 in graduating class and 21 ACT/1060 SAT = $1,000 per academic year
Academic Awards - Must be a Minnesota or Wisconsin resident (nonrenewable).
- Top 20% or 3.70+ cumulative high school GPA (on 4.0 scale) of graduating class and 21, 22 or 23 ACT/1060+ SAT $1500
- Top 50% or 3.25+ cumulative high school GPA (on 4.0 scale) of graduating class and 24, 24, 26 or 27 ACT/1180+ SAT $1500
Note: SAT scares are Reading plus Math totals.
Freshman & Transfer Scholarships
Alumni Society ($1,000)
- Child, grandchild, brother, sister, or ward of WSU graduate
- Essay and interview required, limited number given each year
Inclusion and Diversity ($350-$2,000) based on academic potential
Music, Art, Theatre ($300-$3,000) based on audition, contact departments
Intercollegiate Athletics Contact for information
Unrestricted Scholarships ($100-$250) must complete FAFSA, based on need/merit
Renewable Resident Tuition Scholarship -- for new freshmen or transfer students from Illinois, Iowa or other non-reciprocity states. *Non-resident, non-reciprocity students in the top 15% of their graduating class or an ACT of 25 or greater will pay resident rates rather than non-resident. This award may be viewed as an approx. $5,800 scholarship renewable based on maintenance of a 3.0 or above GPA. If you are a transfer student with 24 hours or more of transferable coursework, you will be awarded a Resident Tuition Scholarship if your cumulative college GPA is 3.25 or higher.