Instructor and student

Transfer Student Application Process

Apply online and pay a $20 fee, unless you have paid before or are transferring from RCTC.  Skip the application section about high school courses. Request official transcripts from each non-MNSCU school and send them to WSU Admissions. If you have attended a MNSCU institution, WSU will retrieve your transcript from our database. A final high school transcript is required if you have less than 24 transferable college level credits completed, or if you have attended a technical college only. You can expect a decision within 10-15 working days after all information is received!


Transfer Application Deadlines

Summer app deadlines are 30 days before class begins.  Application deadline for Fall 2014 will be July 11. 

Fall/Spring app deadlines are typically 45 days before classes begin.

Need guidance? can help you with a Transfer Action Plan. 


Q: How will my credits transfer?

A: Go to Minnesota Transfer for good information and advice, including u.Select, which allows you to see specific course equivalencies for participating institutions. You may make an appointment to visit campus and meet individually with a transfer admissions counselor to discuss your situation. A degree audit report will be sent to you after you have been admitted.

Q: What are the standards?


You are admissible if you have 24 or more transferable college credits (excluding technical or remedial credit) at a regionally accredited 2- or 4-year institution with a GPA of at least 2.4. If you have fewer than 24 credits and at least a 2.4 college GPA, you will need to meet current freshman admission standards:  18-20 ACT with top half of high school class rank; or 21 ACT with top two-thirds class rank. Your high school transcript will need to show adequate preparation coursework as if you were a freshman applicant.

Q: When should I apply?


Apply for the fall, spring, or summer terms online. All application information should be sent prior to 45 days before the beginning of a term. Separate, earlier deadlines exist for some programs such as RN to BSN nursing and education transfer students.  WSU is not admitting transfer students without an associates degree + RN into the nursing program at this time.

Q: How do I apply as a transfer?


Send all college transcripts to WSU Admissions, complete an application, and pay a $20 fee if you haven't paid it previously. If you have completed less than 24 college credits after high school graduation, you will also need to send your official high school transcript and official electronic ACT score. Students can apply online or contact us for a paper application. Transcripts need to be sent by the college directly to WSU. 

Q: What is a transfer student?


WSU considers you a transfer if you have earned college-level transferable credit after high school and you have not received a bachelor’s degree. PSEO students who have not graduated from high school should use the freshman application. If you have a bachelor’s and want another undergraduate degree, use the transfer application. If you just want to take a few undergraduate courses at WSU, use the undergraduate special application.

Forsythe Receives Fulbright
WSU English professor Ruth Forsythe has received a Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award. Forsythe will teach and complete research in Japan from September ...
WSU Selects 2012-13 Common Book
The Winona State University Common Book Project has selected “Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men” by Michael Kimmel as the 2012-13 ...
Summit on Protection of Winona Watershed
Fall Open House Days
Fall Open House Days

When: Oct 16, 17 & 31
What: Tours, admissions and academic info
Where: Kryzsko Commons, Main WSU campus