Admission to the Program
Students are encouraged to declare the Graphic Design Option as their major upon entering WSU. Students are then required to complete an application for formal admission, which takes place every fall and spring semester.
Step oneApply for admission to Winona State University using the online tool (freshman)
- Apply Online - Winona State University
- Declare yourself as a Graphic Design major student.
- Visit the Fall and Spring semester graphic design application salon show. This show will prepare and allow you to visualize and understand the application process. Pay attention to the quality and presentation of the artworks.
GD Application Gallery
Step twoApply into Graphic Design Program (sophomore or junior)
- Complete ART 150 (Digital 2-D Design), and ART 118 (Drawing I) with a grade B or above.
- Cummulative GPA 2.5 or above
- Knowledge of basic graphic software skill (Photoshop, Illustrator and indesign)
--> More detail
- Graphic Design application form
(Obtain from the Art Department front desk or download from http://www.winona.edu/Art/GD/GDapplicationForm.pdf)
- Submit portfolio of artworks. --> More detail
- Copies of the most recent college transcripts.
Unofficial copies are accepted for this purpose. Minimum GPA 2.5
- 1-2 page personal statement
Describe how your past experiences, interests, and concerns relate to: your college choice, reason for choosing graphic design as a major, and your career goals. Applicant is encouraged to write an extensive personal statement.
- Two confidential skill & performance assessment.
Preferably from instructors familiar with the student’s art work and/ or academic ability. Instructors should submit the forms in sealed envelopes directly to WSU Art Department (please write on the envelope: Attention to GD Application) The letter will remain confidential and the property of WSU. The Skill & Performance Assessment form is provided in the GD application form- http://www.winona.edu/Art/GD/SkillPerformanceAssessment.pdf
- Submit the application to the art department or mail it to :
Winona State University
Watkins 204 Art Dept.
175 W. Mark St.
Winona MN 55987
Step threeWait for a reply
Please allow two weeks for the department to process the application. A notification email will be sent after the review process is completed. This will be followed with a graphic design application salon show. All applicants' artworks will be displayed at Weber Gallery for a week. Applicants will be notified to pick up their work after the show.