Faculty & Staff Travel

  • A travel request (PDF) form must be submitted for all University travel. This approval is also needed before any pre-purchases can be made such as airline tickets or conference registrations.
  • International travel requires Dean and President approval. 
  • Travel request form should be submitted 10 days prior to departure
  • Supervisor approval is required
  • If using multiple Cost Centers, indicate the amount to be charged to each one and obtain approval from all responsible parties
Travel Request Form (PDF)
All airline tickets must be purchased through the Business Office. Employees will not be reimbursed for tickets purchased individually.

  • Make your airline reservations as early as possible
  • Research options using online websites to find flights that will work within your schedule and budget
  • Contact the travel director for securing flights
    • Need name as it appears on your driver’s license or passport
    • Date of birth
    • Phone number to contact while traveling
  • Employees must not accept any airline benefits for personal use. Airline benefits include cash payments, discount coupons, free tickets, or frequent flyer mileage. Any sort of compensation to passengers who have been delayed or as rewards for frequent trips with a specific airline may not be accepted.  
Employees are encouraged to utilize the WSU Motor Pool whenever practical. Requests are processed through Facilities online vehicle reservation system. 
Enterprise contract (PDF) is restricted to define users only. Renters must be a WSU employee on official WSU business. No personal rentals are allowed. The purchase of any other operational devices, such as a GPS, is not allowed. Book your reservations online at Enterprise Vehicle Rental using the following Corp ID codes:
  •     Instate rentals Corp ID number = N25415.  The PIN is MNW
  •     Outstate rentals Corp ID number = XZ19113.  The PIN is STA

Rentals originating in Winona can be processed on a Purchase Order.  All others are reimbursable through an Employee Expense Report.

If a rental is necessary and Enterprise is not available, use of another vendor is allowed. It is highly recommended the employee purchase the liability and physical damage insurance coverage offered by the rental company. This expense is reimbursable. The purchase of any other operational devices, such as a GPS, will not be reimbursed.

The use of personal vehicles for University business is allowable but the driver’s auto insurance would be primary if there is an incident. It is highly recommended to use a State Motor Pool or State rental vehicle whenever transporting individuals for University business.
  • Reimbursement will be for actual miles traveled using the most direct route
  • Reimbursement will be from your primary work location or your residence, whichever is closer to your destination
  • If you choose to drive instead of fly to your destination, you will be reimbursed at the lowest possible airfare, instead of mileage reimbursement. Contact Travel Director to obtain an airfare quote, which is calculated using at least a two week advance purchase price ticket
  • Commonly traveled destinations
  • Complete an Expense Report (Excel) for reimbursement
AmTrak can be purchased through the Business Office or by the individual. Train, bus and taxi fares are all reimbursable expenses.
  • Legal Counsel has reminded agencies they must use licensed lodging facilities when conducting authorized Minnesota State Colleges and University business. This includes all employees, students and any other individuals authorized to travel or be reimbursed for allowable expenses. The use of AirB&B, VRBO and similar properties, are not recommended as the license status is unable to be determined. 
  • Upgrades are not allowed
  • Employees offered travel benefits/reward points by lodging facilities must not accept these benefits for personal use. Make sure your receipt does not have a member/account number listed and that you were not awarded any credit towards your stay
  • Select a reasonably priced facility and always request the State/Government rate when making lodging arrangements
  • Employees are responsible for paying for their own lodging and seek reimbursement. Visit the reimbursement page for more information. 
You may not use a purchase order or a direct billing method to pay for a conference registration fee. You must pay the fee and be reimbursed OR the fee may be purchased by the Travel Director on the WSU travel credit card. 

A special expense form (PDF) is needed for any registration fees that exceeds $1,000 per participant (this is a different form than the Employee Expense Report Form). This form is also required if there are additional meal costs associated with the conference that exceed the allowable amount.

  • A travel advance is used for individuals who wish to receive the funds for their trip prior to leaving. It may be obtained if the estimated expenses for the trip are greater than $50.00.
  • Advances pay on the paycheck prior to departure.
  • To receive a travel advance, you must submit a travel request form (PDF) and an Expense Report (Excel) form at least three weeks prior to the trip.
  • The amount of the advance should not include any expenses that will be prepaid by the university.
  • A traveler may not have more than one outstanding travel advance
  • The advance must be settled by submitting an Expense Report (Excel) with appropriate receipts and documentation within five (5) days of returning from the trip. Advances not settled within 28 days of return date will be deducted from the employee’s paycheck in their entirety in accordance with appropriate payroll deduction procedures.