Guide for Effective Interviewing
During an interview the employer will be evaluating your abilities, skills and interests to see how well they match the position requirements. Your goal during the interview includes developing a positive rapport with the interviewer and gather details of the position and organization. Below are a number of tools and tips that will help to build your confidence and strengthen your interview skills.
- A Mock Interview at Career Services can help you prepare
- Dress professionally
- Turn off your cell phone prior to entering the building
- Arrive at the interview site 10 - 15 minutes early
- Be polite to the receptionist
- Avoid verbal fillers such as "um," "ah," or "like"
- Use gestures that enhance your verbal message
- Sit tall and lean forward slightly to show interest
- Be detailed, yet concise with your responses
- After the interview, send a thank you letter within 24 hours
- When answering questions, use real life examples to back up your examples
- Review Sample Interview Questions (PDF)
- Address the employer with Mr./Ms./Doctor followed by their last name
- When greeted by the employer, offer a firm handshake, maintain eye contact and smile
- Research the organization in advance and have questions ready to ask the employer
Review the following steps to sign up for an on-campus interview:
- Log in to Warrior Jobs
- Upload and publish your resume (you will want to upload a cover letter and recommendation letters if you have them)
- Click on "Interview Schedules" and then "View all upcoming interviews"
- Search for jobs you want to apply for
- View the application requirements
- Locate the "How to Apply" section at the bottom of the details
- After viewing your resume and/or cover letter, employers will decide if you will be accepted for an interview and you will be notified via email.
Length and Location
Employers typically set 30 - 45 minute interviews. Most interviews are conducted in Career Services, 314 Maxwell.
Contact & Events
Learn more by setting up an appointment with a career advisor. In Winona: Email email@example.com or call 507.457.5878. In Rochester: call 507.280.5079 or stop in at SS125.
User Guide (PDF)
Career Service's InterviewStream is an excellent tool for anyone wanting to enhance their interviewing skills. It is a private and free way to practice answering the most asked interview questions.
No, I do not have access to a webcam:
Practice your interviewing skills from the kiosk location: Winona campus (314 Maxwell). You will be able to set-up your profile and answer up to 6 questions in 20 minutes or less. No appointment necessary!
Yes, I have access to a webcam:
You can conduct the practice interview from home! First select the InterviewStream login button and then follow the directions below:
- From the InterviewStream website log-in or select: "Register"
- Fill out your profile information.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you.
- From your email select "Click Here to Login"
- Enter your username and password
- Select "Conduct an Interview" or "Mobile Interview"
- Select "Created for Me" or "Custom Interview" to choose the questions that you would like to practice answering Question List (PDF).
- Align yourself in front of the Webcam and then click begin!
- Once your interview is completed you will receive an email with a link to your recorded answers.
Instructors, if you would like us to set-up a customized question set for your class please email us your request.