Internship Search Process
The following information may be helpful as you begin your internship search process.
- Complete the Communication Studies internship interest form. Submit this form and your transcript to your Communication internship supervisor. This will assure that you are eligible to apply for a Communication Studies internship as well as firm up your goals and objectives for an internship. You must know what you want out of an internship before you commence your search process. You should begin your search at least one semester prior to the time you plan to intern.
- View the internship search process as a learning experience that will provide insights into your future job searches. The Communication Studies department considers it the responsibility of prospective interns to locate their own internship sites, but Communication Studies internship supervisors will assist you with your search process.
- There is a free on-line service that Career Services offers students seeking all types of jobs including internships and full-time career opportunities. New jobs and internships are posted on-line daily so check often! Career Services also sponsors several Career and Job Fairs throughout the year. Employers attending those fairs are seeking students to fill their internship and permanent positions so these are excellent opportunities to talk with employers about internships. Career advisors will help you with many aspects of your internship search including resume and cover letter critiques, interviewing help and will locate resources that have internships you may want to pursue. For more information visit the Career Services website: www.winona.edu/career -or- call: 507-457-5340 to set-up an appointment with a career advisor.
- After compiling a list of possible sites that interest you, you may want to meet with your Communication Studies internship supervisor to discuss them.
- Internship applications will usually proceed in one of two ways. If time permits a cover letter and resume should be sent to the potential internship sites. A sample cover letter and resume are available in this packet. This may then be followed up with a phone contact. If time is limited, direct telephoning may be your initial contact with the internship site. At all times during the search process it is important to project a professional image. Remember that you may have up to three different tasks to accomplish including convincing the site to accept an intern, convincing the site to accept a Communication intern, and convincing the site to accept you as the intern.
- Always remember to keep in touch with your Communication Studies internship supervisor during the search process. Your supervisor may have information about potential internship sites and can provide coaching with cover letters, resumes, interviewing techniques, etc.
- Once you have a site that has agreed to take you on as an intern, make sure it meets the Communication Studies site qualifications including: focus on communication, professional in nature, new learning experience, and on-site supervisor availability.
- Discuss internship objectives and projects with the internship site supervisor. The intern and site supervisor will jointly finalize the contract. The intern will then type the Internship Contract and present it to the Communication Studies supervisor for discussion, approval, and a signature. The signed contract should then be presented to the site supervisor for approval and a signature. Both supervisors and the intern will receive a copy of the Internship Contract. The site supervisor will present the Internship Contract to the department for approval. If the internship is approved by the department, the intern will then be eligible to complete the WSU Registrar's Office Internship Application Form. Students then register for an internship using normal registration procedures.
Any intern registering for a internship that is 50+ miles from campus is eligible for reduced fees. Appropriate forms are available for reduced charges from the WSU Registrar's Office