The English Language Center at Winona State University welcomes all students, international and domestic, whose first languages are not English. To be admitted to the ELC at WSU, students should meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have proof of high-school graduation
- Applicants must have at least two years of high school level English or higher
- Applicants must demonstrate adequate English language skills
To apply for ELC admission, please send the following:
- A completed application form (Please check ESL Training only.)
- A non-refundable application fee of $20
- Documents of financial resources|
- Original or notarized letter from your financial sponsor
- A copy of your high school or college diploma
- A record of two years of English courses
- An immunization form
- All documents must be original documents or certified true copies, no scans or photocopies!
- English Translations must accompany all native language documents.
- Payment must be either check or a money order (US dollars drawn from a US bank or a US affiliated bank).
- Original or notarized bank statement from your sponsor indicating in US dollars the amount of available funds for your study. The statement must be dated within the past 6 months of the application date, and the amount of available funds must be at least $17,000.
- Please send the application documents via an international mail carrier (FedEx or DHL) to the ELC office.
Applicants will receive an email when we receive your documents and when we issue your acceptance packet.
Undergraduate Conditional Admission
If you want to continue your undergraduate studies at WSU after completing the ELC, you may apply for conditional admission. Undergraduate conditional admission students are not required to submit a TOEFL score. However, they must meet the following conditions to exit the ELC and gain admission to the university:
- They must pass their ELC courses with a 3.0 GPA.
- They must pass the ELC exit exam.
- They must receive the approval of the ELC Director and the program’s instructors.
In order to apply for conditional admission, please check the necessary information on the application form (Please check Conditional Admission).
- For summer 2012 admission: May 1
- For fall 2012 admission: July 1
- For spring 2013 admission: November 1
Graduate Conditional Admission
Students who wish to be admitted to graduate programs at WSU must apply directly to the academic department where the program in housed. To find out more about admission to a particular program and its application deadlines, please contact the department of the graduate program that you wish to apply to.
Many of the graduate programs offer conditional admission to their programs. Students who do not meet the English language requirement for admission to graduate programs can be first admitted to the English language Center to satisfy the language requirement.
Once you are accepted to the ELC, you should complete an on-campus housing form. Visit Residential Life for more information..
ELC students are not required to live on-campus. However, if you choose to live off-campus, you are responsible for finding your own housing. In addition, the ELC does not offer home stays with American families.
There are three payments methods:
- Pay by Mail: Payment must be in the form of a check or money order in US dollars drawn from a US bank or a US affiliated bank. The check or the money order should be made payable to Winona State
- University Pay Online: First, you need to have a Warrior ID # in order to pay online. Once you are accepted by the ELC, we will assign you a Warrior ID #. With the Warrior ID # and your password, you can log on to your personal page and make payment online. Deposit, tuition, and other fees can be paid through this method.
- Pay in Person: Tuition, room and board, and other fees can be paid in person once you arrive at Winona.