If you are involved in or witness any medical emergency immediately call 911 and WSU Security (ext. 5555). Be prepared to provide the following information to the police dispatcher
- Name of the injured or ill person, if known.
- Current location of the person (i.e. building, room number, etc.)
- Nature and type of injury, in known.
- If safe to do so, remain with the individual until help arrives; try to keep the individual still. Do not attempt to move a seriously injured person (unless a more serious injury or life threatening situation may result). Provide first aid only if you are trained to do so.
- Provide any assistance to emergency medical personnel at the scene upon request.
Exposure Control Plan
Immediate treatment for an individual exposed to blood and/or body fluids is to thoroughly wash the exposed area with non-abrasive antibacterial soap and running water. Students should be sent to WSU Health Services or to the emergency room at Community Memorial Hospital. Employees should be referred to the emergency room at Community Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Communicable Disease Protocol
If you believe a student has contracted a contagious disease that may pose a health risk to others notify the WSU Clinical Director of Health Services. Refer the student to Health Services for treatment or further referral. If Health Services is closed students will be sent to the emergency room of Community Memorial Hospital. The Clinical Director and Medical Director will be notified by WSU Security.
The Winona County Public Health Services has the authority and responsibility to respond to a mass disaster or terrorism act. All WSU Health Services employees will be placed on call and should remain in Winona County in the event of a mass disaster. WSU Health Services may provide supplies and medications to public health services as needed.
The staff of WSU Health Services is prepared to offer first aid at Health Services. If Health Services is the site of the emergency or there is is a large number of injuries, the McCown Gym will be used by WSU Health Services. Winona County Health Services will be contacted to provide additional medical personnel.