DEPARTMENT OF GEOSCIENCE
WINONA STATE UNIVERSITY
Prerequisites for admission to internship or individual study with outside agency
- Junior standing ( petition to Department of Geology required for exceptions.
- Math/Science G . P . A . >2. 5
- Approval by Department of Geology based upon background and personal attributes appropriate to particular project.
- Develop a written proposal for project, together with academic advisor and supervisor from outside agency. This proposal should define goals and objectives of project, specific responsibilities of student, date of completion, credits to be earned, etc.
- Complete all work with high standards and professionalism.
- Provide existing data pertinent to project.
- Provide facilities adequate to meet learning objectives of project.
- Provide appropriate reimbursement/ renumeration for project as agreed upon by outside agency and university.
- Designate a supervisor, who will:
- coordinate agency support as outlined above
- give initial and periodic consultation to student, along with academic advisor from university (the initial consultation should set written goals and expecions, credits to be awarded, student responsibilities, date of completion, etc.)
- assist in advising student throughout the project, including preparation of final report
- provide the university with a letter of evaluation , commenting upon the student's conduct of the project, professionalism, and potential
- Provide an academic advisor, chosen on basis of availability and expertise
- coordinate project design along with supervisor from outside agency to produce written agreement between agency, university, and student;
- take responsibility for final grading of project;
- establish academic expectations, including report, exams, etc.;
- serve as liason between outside agency and university;
- visit student on-site for constation and evaluation
Back to Student Opportunities