Dear Parent or Guardian
Sending your child off to college for the first time is never an easy thing to do. In the next four years, your child will grow and change in large part based on personal interactions and the environment in which he or she is living. We recognize that the culture at Winona State University will have a big impact on your child’s growth.
We take every part of the Winona State University experience very seriously, and we have implemented a comprehensive prevention program to help our students – your children – make the safest, healthiest decisions possible.
One way we do that is through AlcoholEdu® for College, a three-hour, Web-based alcohol prevention program being used at more than 500 colleges and universities around the country. The program uses the latest prevention techniques and science-based research to educate students about the impact of alcohol on the mind and body. Whether or not your child drinks alcohol, AlcoholEdu for College will empower your child to make well-informed decisions about alcohol and help him or her better cope with the drinking behavior of peers.
Every incoming first-year student is strongly encouraged to complete AlcoholEdu for College. We will be communicating directly with your child regarding the information and instructions he/she needs to complete this course. To help ensure that your child meets this requirement, please remind your son or daughter that all students should complete Part 1 of the course by August 16, 2010.
While we are committed to making a difference with our students, we also understand that parents are the first line of defense against alcohol misuse and abuse. That’s why we have made AlcoholEdu® available to you.
AlcoholEdu for Parents is an online program designed to support your conversations about alcohol that will help shape the decisions your child must make in college surrounding alcohol use
To begin AlcoholEDU for Parents:
- Go to: http://college.alcoholedu.com/login.aspx
- Under New User, enter the following Login ID: (LOGIN will be available July 21, 2010)
- Click “Sign Up”
- On the registration page, you will have the opportunity to create your account using your email address and a password of your choice.
- You may log in and out of the course at the end of each section. Section ends are marked with a “Next” button. DO NOT log out until you click the “Next” button or you will have to repeat the section you have just gone through.
- When you return, log in as a Returning User and enter the same email address and password you created when you first logged into the course.
Should you experience any difficulties or require support, the AlcoholEdu Online Technical Support Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Simply click on the “Technical Help” button located in the upper right-hand corner of every AlcoholEdu for College screen. You do not need to be logged into the course to access the Technical Support Center.
Dr. Karen Johnson
Dean of Students