A full range of health consultation is available to men through WSU Health & Wellness Services. Each year men make 150 million less visits to a physician than women; this is not because men are healthier than women. In reality, men often do not visit a health care provider when they are in need of medical attention. Reasons for this may have several contributing factors:
- Fear of bad news
- Discomfort of examination
- Fear of being perceived as weak
It is possible a medical issue may resolve itself without clinical treatment; however, there is a risk of more severe damage if conditions worsen. If you question your personal wellness, you are strongly encouraged to reach out to WSU Health & Wellness Services.
Recommended Routine Exam Schedule
- Physical exam every year or as recommended by your physician
- Blood Pressure check every year
- Complete cholesterol test every 1-5 years, depending on personal health
- STI Testing: Sexually active adults should be screened for syphilis, Chlamydia, and gonorrhea after contact with any new partners
- Monthly testicular self-exams to detect any abnormalities/changes
For information regarding FREE STI testing, visit Minnesota Family Planning Program to see if you qualify.
- Influenza vaccine every year (unless prevented by allergy or history of reaction)
- Tetanus-Diptheria-Pertussis vaccine booster every 10 years
- Meningococcal vaccine for college freshmen living in dorms
- Mantoux (TB) testing annually for any classes/internships/employment in health care setting