Admission Process and Eligibility Requirements
If you are interested in becoming an HLA student and you have not yet completed the HLA Pre-Application Form, please do so now. Within one week of completing the pre-application, you will be contacted by an HLA advisor who will help layout your next steps and answer any questions you may have.
After talking with an HLA advisor, the next step in the process of being considered for the HLA program is to apply to Winona State. Applicants should declare a Pre-HLA major (PHLA) on the WSU admission application. Be sure to check the application deadline, which is usually 45 days before the semester begins.
Once admitted to the university, HLA candidates are formally evaluated by means of an application rubric using information gathered from both the university application and the HLA pre-application. This rubric rates student qualifications based on the following criteria: overall GPA, total credits earned toward the General Education Program (GEP), total credits earned toward graduation, years of professional healthcare experience, and total earned upper-division credits.
HLA Admission RequirementsTo be considered eligible for admission into the HLA Program, a HLA applicant must:
- Demonstrate current or previous professional experience in a healthcare-related field. The completion degree requires that you have developed a technical skill in healthcare to build your degree upon.
- Possess an associate (AAS, AS, or AA) degree from a regionally accredited college.
- Please note that those with 2-year RN degrees should consider the RN completion program.
- Have earned 60 or more credits (junior/senior standing) at the time of application, or will do so prior to the start of HLA major coursework.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at the time of application.
- Have completed the General Education Program (GEP) Goal 1: Communication requirement. Please note that completion of this requirement may be achieved through transfer coursework and that all GEP requirements are met by those who have earned an AA degree.
- Meet all application requirements outlined in the WSU Undergraduate Catalog.
Additional Admission Considerations
- With your admission letter to Winona State, you will also receive a Degree Audit Report (DAR) detailing how your transfer coursework is applied at WSU. Upon reviewing this report, some prospective HLA students find that they are deficient in a number of General Education Program requirements. If you are admitted to the university and are determined to be a good candidate for the HLA program but have more than 9 credits left to complete in the General Education Program, you will be advised to complete those requirements and reapply to the HLA program after completing them. An HLA advisor can help you plan for this.
- Students are expected to have the computer hardware and skills necessary for successful participation in online courses.