Admission to the HLA Program
If you are interested in becoming an HLA student and you have not yet completed the HLA Pre-Application Form,
please do so now. Within two business days of completing the
pre-application, you will be contacted by an HLA advisor to discuss your
eligibility and future educational and professional plans.
The Healthcare Leadership and Administration degree is
awarded by Winona State University. Students interested in earning this
degree must first be accepted into WSU and should declare a Pre-HLA
major (PHLA). Please see the HLA Getting Started Checklist (PDF) for more details.
Students in PHLA are able to enroll in HERS 270, Foundations of
Healthcare Leadership and Administration, and are encouraged to take
remaining coursework needed to meet the HLA program admission
requirements. All other HLA major coursework requires admittance into
the HLA degree program.
HLA Admission Requirements
For admission into the online HLA Program, a HLA applicant must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must demonstrate current or previous
professional experience in a healthcare-related field. The completion
degree requires that you have developed a technical skill in healthcare
to build your degree upon.
- The HLA program is designed as an online completion
degree. Therefore, the applicant must possess an associate (AAS, AS, or
AA) or higher post-secondary degree from a regionally accredited college
prior to admittance to the program. Please note that those with 2-year
RN degrees should consider the RN completion program.
- The applicant must demonstrate that he or she has earned
60 or more credits (junior/senior standing) at the time of application,
or will do so prior to the start of HLA major coursework.
- The applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at the time of application.
- The applicant must demonstrate completion of the Winona
State General Education Program (GEP) Goal 1: Communication
requirements. See the General Education Program section of the WSU Undergraduate Catalog
for details. Please note that completion of this requirement may be
achieved through transfer coursework and that the GEP requirements are
waived for those who have earned an AA degree.
- Students must meet all application requirements outlined in the WSU Undergraduate Catalog.
Additional Admission Considerations
- Applicants who meet all HLA program requirements and
possess professional experience, paid or unpaid, in a healthcare-related
field will receive priority in the admission process.
- Students will have the option of taking a practicum
course as a HLA elective. Students taking this practicum experience
course will be required to submit additional requirements as stipulated
by the internship location. These requirements typically include proof
of health including vaccine records or immunity records and a criminal
background check. If you have concerns regarding these practicum
requirements, please make an appointment to discuss them with the HLA
program director/chair. Additional degree requirements beyond HLA
coursework will need to be completed for graduation.
- Students are expected to have the computer hardware and skills necessary for successful participation in online courses. Students will sign a technology understanding/agreement to assure complete understanding of technology requirements.
For questions regarding the HLA application process, please
contact your HLA advisor or Shellie Nelson, HLA Program Director.
Student & Campus Services
Winona State University-Rochester
Student Services (SS) 128
859 30th Ave. SE
Rochester, MN 55904
Shellie Nelson, Ed.D., ATC
HLA Program Director