Whether you're wondering how to sign up for on-campus housing for next year, change your meal plan or apply for Housing & Residence Life student position, you've come to the right place. Answers to these questions and many others are provided here to help current students learn about their on-campus housing options and policies.
Returning Student Room Sign-Up for 2015-2016
If you are currently living on or off-campus and are interested in living in the residence halls for the 2015-2016 academic year, please contact our office. All students living in the residence halls must have a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
Kirkland Hall/Traditional Residence Halls
Currently, Kirkland Hall is full for Fall 2015; however we are accepting anyone who would like to placed on a waiting list. Space is still available in Lourdes, Maria, Sheehan, Prentiss-Lucas, and the Quad. Current students will have until Friday May 8th to sign up for a room to get priority selection before we begin to place first-year students.
East Lake Apartment sign-up was held on Nov. 20, 2014 and is currently full. If you would like to be on the waiting list, please email the Housing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507.457.5305.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Housing Office at 507.457.5305 or email email@example.com.
Residence Life Calendar
The 2014-2015 Residence Life Calendar (PDF) includes many dates related specifically to living in the residence halls. Please refer to it often. As new dates are established throughout the year, they will be added to this calendar.
Student Staff Hiring for 2015-2016
We are currently hiring Housing Tour Guides for the 2015-2016 school year. Please refer to Tour Guide Position Description and Application for more information. 15-18 positions available!
Housing Tour Guide Hiring Timeline
April 3rd - Applications Available
April 14th - Applications Due at the Housing Office by 4:30pm
April 18th - Interviews
April 20th - Decisions will be announced
April 24th - Group Training
If you have any questions about the position or hiring timeline, please contact our office at 507.457.5305 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2015 On-Campus Housing
Checking in: Summer Housing check-in for May Term will be on Sunday, May 10 from 9am to 12pm. If checking in after Sunday, May 10 please come during Kirkland’s front desk hours which are 11am to 1pm and 5pm to 7pm every day.
May Term: All students checking into summer housing for May Term will need to check out of their current residence hall by 5pm on Sunday, May 10.
Charges: WSU Student $12/per day (double occupancy) and $15/per day (single occupancy). Your preference in a single or double is not guaranteed, however, we will try to accommodate as many as possible based on occupancy.
Transient Housing – Summer Housing cannot to be used for transient housing. We cannot accommodate students desiring to check in and out several times during the summer.
Billing: Summer housing charges will follow the Summer 2015 payment calendar. You will be charged according to the dates you have selected. If you do not adhere to the dates selected your student account will be updated after you checkout. If you have questions regarding billing please contact the Warrior Hub.
If you questions regarding summer housing contact Hall Director, Erica Thomas at EThomas@winona.edu or the Housing Office at email@example.com.
Apply now and we'll see you this summer!
Residence Hall Closing Information
Spring 2015 Closing Information
Traditional residence halls officially close at 5pm on Friday, May 8, 2015. The East Lake Apartments and Sustainability House close at 12pm (noon) on Friday, May 15, 2015. All students must check out with their RA/CA by this time. The following information is meant to be a helpful guide to having a successful check-out of the residence halls.
End of Semester Meetings: Your RA/CA will hold a mandatory End of Semester meeting the week of April 13. This meeting will provide you with the information you need to have a smooth and successful check-out.
Cleaning Expectations: Your room/apartment is expected to be in the same condition, if not better, than it was when you moved in. Specific cleaning instructions will be given to you by your RA/CA. You may want to bring cleaning supplies from home to assist you such as rags, a vacuum, window cleaner, etc.
Forwarding Your Mail: The Housing Office will forward your mail for 30 days. After June 8, 2015 (June 15 for East Lake), all mail will be returned to sender. You can fill out a "Change of Address" form at the post office or online.
Residence Hall Check-Out Procedures
The on-campus housing agreement term is for one academic year. Students who choose to leave the residence halls before the last day of his/her housing agreement, must follow the procedures below.
Note: There are financial penalties for breaking your housing agreement early. Before you decide to move out of the residence halls, please talk with your Hall Director or a staff member in the Housing & Residence Life Office located in Kryzsko Commons 235.
- Complete the online Room & Meal Plan Cancellation Form. (East Lake residents will need for fill out a form at the Housing Office). If you were granted a room change, you do not need fill out this form.
- Set up a check-out time with your RA/CA. If your RA/CA is not available, you may check-out with another RA/CA within the complex.
- Properly return your loft, if applicable. Please contact your RA/CA prior to your check-out time for specific loft return instructions.
- Clean your room according to the following Cleaning Expectations (PDF).
Students who cancel their housing agreement before it expires will be charged a contract cancellation fee. Please contact the Housing & Residence Life Office for specific charges related to your situation before cancelling your agreement.
In order to prevent improper check-out fees, you must follow these expectations:
- Be in your room at the check-out time you scheduled with your RA/CA
- Have your room cleaned according to the cleaning expectations (PDF) for your residence hall
- Have all of your belongings removed from your room and the hallway outside of your room prior to checking out with the RA/CA
- Turn in your room key to the RA/CA
- Sign your Room Condition Report (RCR) and provide your forwarding address and phone number
If there are any damages to property or cleaning that needs to be done, the student will be charged accordingly as listed in the Housing & Residence Life Cleaning & Damage Charges (PDF).
Mailboxes are located in the lobby of each complex. Except for flyers originating from the WSU Housing & Residence Life Office and other University departments, only mail addressed to a student living in the residence halls will be placed in the mailboxes. Mail and packages delivered without the name of the student living in the residence halls will not be accepted or will be returned to sender. Any items ordered should be addressed to or in care of the student. Packages will not be received if they are in a student's parent/guardian name.
Each room has an assigned mailbox which is located in the front lobby of each residence hall. Students are encouraged to check their campus mailbox often as this is one way the University is able to relay important information to students.
To mail something to your student, please use the following format:
Residence Hall & Room #
Residence Hall Street Address
Winona, MN 55987
The mailing address for each residence hall can be found by going to each residence hall page.
Students will receive a package slip in their residence hall mailbox if a package has been delivered for them. To collect a package, students will need to take their package slip to their hall front desk, show their Warrior ID and provide a signature when they pick up a package. C.O.D. (Cash On Delivery) packages will not be accepted.
If a package was delivered to our Central Housing Office, students would receive an email, via their WSU email address, notifying them. Packages at our Central Office can be picked up Monday-Friday 8am - 4:30pm.
Missing or Damaged Mail
If a student did not receive their mail and/or a package or items are damaged upon receipt, please file a report at the residence hall front desk and with the Post Office.
Request a Room Change
Please read through the following information regarding room change requests within Winona State University's residence halls.
If you currently live in a regular room (double or single) and would like to request a room change, the Residence Life Staff require you follow the process below:
- Talk to your roommate - If you are having a roommate conflict, please have a verbal conversation with them to talk about how things are going and what is bothering you.
- Talk to your RA - If you have had a conversation with your roommate and tried to work things out, but your situation has not improved, please contact your RA. Your RA is a great resource who will assist you in having a difficult conversation. They may also assist you in facilitating a conversation between you and your roommate to set guidelines within your living situation which is feasible for all students involved.
- Talk to your Hall Director - You can also set up a meeting with your Hall Director to have a conversation about your current living situation.
- Fill out the Online Room Change Request Form - Please note that filling out this form is only a request and will be processed as space becomes available within the residence halls.
Once you submit your request, you will be contacted by your current Hall Director to set up a meeting. Once your Hall Director approves your request, you will be put on a waiting list based on the date of Hall Director Approval. When space is available, you will be contacted by your current Hall Director of your new room assignment and the process of checking into your new room and out of your current room.
Please remember, this is a request only and we are only able to honor your request if space is available.
Welcome Crew - Join Now
What is the Welcome Crew?
The WSU Welcome Crew is a combination of student, staff, faculty, retiree and alumni volunteers who assist new students and their families move into the residence halls each fall.
Sign up now to be a part of the WSU Welcome Crew!
What Would I do as a Volunteer?
Welcome Crew Volunteer responsibilities may include: controlling traffic, unloading vehicles, transporting belongings to rooms, making posters, distributing concessions, distributing keys and room assignments, and, most importantly, making new students feel welcome!
Necessary Skills and Qualities
- Ability to lift and move items
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- High level of positive energy and enthusiasm
- Comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds
- A desire to help incoming students feel at home at WSU
- Ability to follow direction well
- Ability to be prompt and on time
Where Can I Get More Information?
There are two information sessions where you can learn more about Welcome Crew:
- Wednesday, March 25 at 9pm (Tau Rotunda)
- Thursday, April 26 at 8pm (Haake Hall Conference Room)
- Sunday, August 16 - Volunteers are allowed to move in to their residence hall at no charge
- Monday, August 17 - Mandatory meeting at 9am
- Tuesday, August 18 - Assist with move-in day activities 7:30am - 5pm (must be available all day)
- Receive a Free Welcome Crew T-Shirt
- Opportunity to meet new students and their families
- Positive, free way to promote your registered student organization
- Early arrival fee waived if you work two shifts
- Great volunteer opportunity
Changing Your Meal Plan
Meal plan changes can be made at anytime throughout the semester for those students wanting to increase their current plan. Students wanting to decrease their meal plan can do so during the first two weeks of each semester only. Stop by the Housing Office, 235 Kryzsko Commons, to make your meal plan changes.
Cancelling your Housing Agreement
Students wishing to cancel their Housing Agreement for the residence halls must fill out the online Room & Meal Plan Cancellation. Students living at East Lake wanting to cancel their agreement must fill out a paper Contract & Release Form (PDF) at the Housing Office, (235 Kryzsko Commons). You will also need to contact your RA to be sure you follow the appropriate check out procedures.
Note: this form is Not intended for students changing rooms within the residence halls. It is intended for those wanting to move completely out of the residence halls to an off-campus apartment, moving home, etc. If you have any questions about the terms of your Housing Agreement, please contact our office.
The WSU Residence Halls and Campus Community are a Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco-Free environment, certain violations of these policies will result in the cancellation of your Housing Agreement and an $800 Housing Agreement Cancellation Fee.