Apply for Housing

Whether you are new to WSU or a current student returning to the halls, the Housing & Residence Life office is happy to help you through the process.

All students living in the residence halls must be admitted to WSU and enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.

About one week after acceptance to Winona State University, new-entering freshman and transfer students will receive a packet of information explaining the housing application process.

You may also apply for housing online, or you may contact our office at to request a paper application. If you need assistance with your Star ID, call the Minnesota State Help Desk at 1.877.466.6728.


Application Process

Our application process for Fall 2017 opened Oct. 1, 2016. Students are assigned a space in one of our residence halls based on the date of their completed application. Your completed application consists of:

We guarantee a space in one of our residence halls to students with a completed housing application. Our assignment process is based on date of completed application, so the earlier you apply, the more likely you are to be placed in one of the preferred halls indicated on your application. We begin accepting applications in October.

Room assignments and roommate information will be available on your e-services page mid-June.

If you choose to cancel your housing, please read the Cancellation Policy (PDF).

Please review the important dates to remember regarding housing for next year.


Selecting a Roommate

If you have a specific roommate request, you and your preferred roommate(s) must submit your completed housing applications with your indicated roommate preferences no later than April 1. We do our best to accommodate roommate requests for students who apply after April 1 as space allows.

More information on finding a roommate can be found on our Roommate Information page.


Freshman & Transfer Halls

New-entering freshmen live in all of our residence halls except Kirkland and the East Lake Apartments.

Transfer students live in all of our residence halls. However, if space is available, we do our best to place transfer students together in Kirkland, Lourdes Hall or the East Lake Apartments (if the students meets the 24-credit requirement).

The East Lake Apartments, Kirkland Hall and the Traditional Hall sign-up was held last fall. However, we still have openings. 

If you are interested, you will need to pay the $250 pre-payment at the Warrior Hub and bring the receipt to the Housing Office in Kryzsko Commons 235 to choose your room. You must have a minimum of 24 credits at the beginning of fall 2017 to be eligible to live at East Lake or Kirkland.

If you have any questions regarding this process, please email the Housing Office at or call 507.457.5305.

Summer Housing Application - WSU Students
Summer Housing Agreement (PDF)

Checking In & Checking Out

Students can check in at the Kirkland Hall front desk. Students who are moving from their current residence hall to Kirkland Hall for May term may stay in their current residence hall until they are able to move into Kirkland on May 7. However, students must be checked out of their current residence hall by 5pm on May 7.

Students must coordinate a time with an RA to check out of their room. Prior to checking out of their room, students will need to follow the cleaning expectations outlined by the staff.

Term Check In
Check Out
Single Room
Double Room
May Term
Interim Housing for students moving to East Lake starting June 1

By 12pm


Summer Session I
May 28 - July 1

 By 12pm



Summer Session II
July 1 - Aug. 8

By 12pm



Entire Summer
May 7 - Aug. 6

By 12pm



Interim Housing*
Aug. 6 - 14

By 12pm



*only available for students moving to their on-campus room assignment for Fall 2017


Suite/Roommate Assignments and Open Beds

Assignments will be determined based on requested roommates/suitemates as well as term selected. If roommate/suitemate preferences are not listed on your application, assignments will be made at random.

If at any point there is an open space in a room and/or suite, that space can be assigned at any time.

You will receive your summer assignment at check-in. Your preference in a single or double occupancy suite is not guaranteed. However, we will do our best to accommodate your request.



Summer housing charges will follow the Summer 2017 payment calendar. You will be charged according to the dates indicated on your summer housing application. If you have questions regarding billing, please contact the Warrior Hub.


Transient Housing

Summer housing cannot be used for transient housing. We cannot accommodate students desiring to check in and out several times during the summer.

If you have questions regarding summer housing contact Hall Director Erica Thomas at or the Housing Office at

Some of our residence halls are accessible to students with physical disabilities. Be sure to notify us if you need accommodations such as wheelchair-accessible facilities or devices/alarms for a hearing impairment. Early notification and complete information about your needs will allow us to best assist you.

If you have a disability that may require special housing considerations, please submit a written description of your needs to the Housing & Residence Life Office.

Special Accommodations

Applying for special on-campus housing accommodations based on medical need: In compliance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, students with documented disabilities may request special housing accommodations. These requests will be evaluated within the context of current housing policies, students' needs and available facilities.

Access Services is another great resource for students who may need additional support.

We are currently preparing for the arrival of students to move into our residence halls for Fall Semester. Therefore, we are not accepting room change requests at this time. If you would still like to request a room change, you may do so starting Friday, Sept. 1. An online request form will be available on this page at that time.