Academic Affairs and Curriculum Committee
Minutes of February 28, 2001
Members present: Rebecca Ambers, Barbara Boseker, John Campbell, Karen Csajko, Helen Dachelet,
Shirley Eiken, Ruth Forsythe, Kelly Herold, Drake Hokanson, Joe Jackson, John Johanson, Dan
Kauffman, E.M. Win Lewis, Charla Miertschin, James Reidy, Robert Scheer, Cathy
Schmidt, Paul Schumacher, Ed Slowik, Ed Thompson
Guests present: Kerry Williams, Stewart Shaw
I. Meeting called to order at 3:35 p.m. by chair Kelly
Next meeting is March 21, 2001.
II. Adoption of Agenda
Additions: IV. F. John Asleson and VIII. C. Recommendation to VP Richardson
P. Schumacher/E. Thompson, M/S, to adopt agenda as amended. Motion passed.
III. Approval of February 14, 2001 minutes
VI. Recommendation of new courses should come before recommendation of University Studies courses.
VII. E. Social Work - SOCW 375 Practicum Preparation should be 1 SH, not 3 SH
P. Schumacher/D. Kauffman, M/S, to approve as amended. Motion passed.
IV. Gen. Ed. Substitution Requests
- Brad Blitz - COMS 281 Cross-Cultural Communications (3 SH) from Winona State University for
Humanities. J. Reidy/E. Thompson, M/S, to approve substitution. Motion passed.
- Stacie Schneider - SPED 400 Education of Exceptional Children and Youth (3 SH) from Winona State
University for Different Culture. R. Scheer/P. Schumacher, M/S, to approve substitution for both
Stacie Schneider and Bethany Miglio (see C below). Motion passed.
- Bethany Miglio - SPED 400 Education of Exceptional Children and Youth (3 SH) from Winona State
University for Different Culture.
- Kelli Nims - GEOG 320 Geography of the U.S. (3 SH) from Winona State University for Social
Science. J. Campbell/P. Schumacher, M/S, to approve substitution. Motion passed.
- Sara Leach - ENG 801-201 English Composition I (3 SH) from Madison Area Technical College for
Basic Skills - English. S. Eiken/R. Ambers, M/S, to approve substitution. [Note: This decision will not
be considered a policy-setting decision, but an exception.]
- John Asleson - Humanities 1114-02 Ethics and its Application in Health Care (1 SH) from Rochester
Community & Technical College for Humanities. E. Thompson/R. Scheer, M/S, to approve
substitution. Motion passed.
V. Course/Program Proposal Subcommittee
Committee recommends approval of the following.
- New Course Proposals
|MUS 002 Music Education Seminar
|HIST 370 Legal Research & Writing I
|HIST 372 Legal Research & Writing II
- Revised Programs
|History - Paralegal Program
||5-0-1 + corrected paperwork/recieved
|History - Law and Society Program
||5-0-1 + corrected paperwork/recieved
VI. University Studies Subcommittee (USS) Report
USS recommends approval of the following courses (all votes unanimous):
Arts & Sciences Core - Natural Sciences
- BIOL 104 Conservation (3 SH)
- BIOL 203 Natural History (4 SH)
- BIOL 211 Anatomy & Physiology I (4 SH)
- BIOL 212 Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4 SH)
- GEOS 115 Meteorology (4 SH)
Unity & Diversity - Science and Social Policy
- PSYC 330 Psychology & the Law (3 SH)
Unity & Diversity - Contemporary Citizenship
- ACCT 211 Financial Accounting Principles (3 SH)
Unity & Diversity - Multicultural Perspective (all 3 SH)
- POLS 226 Politics & Society in Africa
- POLS 390 Comparative Politics in the Third World
- POLS 270 Politics & Society in the Middle East
- MUS 114 World Music
- MUS 115 Music of East and southeast Asia
- MUS 116 Music of the Americas
Courses were approved by A2C2 for University Studies Program.
VII. Points of Information
- Art - one-time course offering: ART 111 Typography, Design & the Computer (2 SH)
- Psychology - one-time course offering: PSYC 495 Child Psychopharmacology (2 SH)
- Marketing - change in prerequisites:
MKTG 320 Market Analysis - remove MKTG 300 and add: Completion of the Written and Oral
Communication Basic Skills in the University Studies Program, MKTG 300, and the Mathematics
and Statistics requirement of the marketing major or minor.
- Business Administration - changes
Course number and title change: DIS 460 Project Planning and Control changed to POM 464
Production and Operations Management minor: POM 444 Operations Strategy moved to elective;
POM 464 Project Management moved to required.
Management minor: MGMT 417 Compensation, MGMT 437 Labor Relations, MGMT 467
Staffing and Evaluation, and MGMT 477 International Human Resources added to the
list of acceptable electives.
VIII. New Business
- Calendar - struck
- Different Culture Waiver Form - C. Schmidt/E. Thompson, M/S, to approve the changes to the form as
indicated by Dean Henderson. W. Lewis/B. Boseker, M/S, to table this issue. Motion passed.
- Recommendation for Steve Richardson, J.Campbell/E. Slowik, M/S,
the following recommendation. "Given Marketing Professor James
Bovinet's enthusiastic and public support for Gov. Ventura's proposed
meager budget for Higher Education, A2C2 recommends to Vice President
Richardson that if Winona State faces budget shortfalls as a result of
Ventura's proposal, that the Marketing Dept. be the first Winona State
Department to face cutbacks and retrenchment." J.
Reidy/B Boseker, M/S, to table this motion to investigate other possibilities.
Chair Herold adjourned
meeting at 5:05 p.m.
Submitted by secretary,