Academic Affairs and Curriculum Committee
Minutes of September 19, 2001
Members present: Barbara Boseker, John Campbell, Shirley Eiken, Mary Fawcett, Andrew Ferstl, Ruth
Forsythe, Yogesh Grover, Kelly Herold, Drake Hokanson, John Johanson, Dan
Kauffman, James Kobolt, Kendall Larson, E.M. Win Lewis, Rich MacDonald, Charla
Miertschin, Randy Miller, Melanie Reap, James Reidy, Edward Reilly, Monica Revak,
Dominic Ricciotti, Paul Schumacher, Ed Slowik, Susanne Smith, Kim Snyder, Cathy
Summa, Ed Thompson
Guests present: Kerry Williams
I. Meeting called to order at 3:35 p.m. by chair Kelly
Next meeting is October 3, 2001.
II. Adoption of Agenda
Two notification items were added under X.
P. Schumacher/W. Lewis, M/S, to approve agenda as amended. Motion passed.
- A2C2 Chair C. Summa/B. Boseker, M/S, to nominate Charla Miertschin as A2C2 Chair. Motion
passed. Congratulations Charla!
- Election of A2C2 Secretary There were no volunteers. Election postponed.
IV. Approval of May 2, 2001 minutes.
Postponed until next meeting.
V. General Education Course Substitution Requests
- Melissa Stith - OR 100 Intro. To Higher Education (1 credit) from WSU for General Education credit.
D. Hokanson/W. Lewis, M/S, to approve substitution. Motion rescinded. Due to notification by S.
Smith, Nursing, that BIOL 211 and 212 should be listed in the catalog as Additional Requirements
and, thus, be counted as general education courses, it was recommended that the student hold her
request until appropriate change has been made. This change will eliminate the need for requested
- Danielle Patti - PER 216 Modern Dance (2 credits) from WSU. R. Miller/C. Summa, M/S, to
recommend that student refer back to department and see Gretchen Cohenour for a credit by exam to
eliminate the need for substitution request. Motion to approve this recommendation passed.
VI. University Studies Subcommittee (USS) Report
K. Williams reported on the following points:
- Two members' terms have expired. P. Schumacher/Y. Grover, M/S, to approve the following USS
members: Paul Johnson, English and Dan Kaufman, Business, both three year terms. Motion passed.
- Catalog year - Check on asterisked courses in your major and make sure that degree listings match the
new USP guidelines. Note that Basic Skills, Unity & Diversity, and Flag courses may count in both
major and USP, but Arts & Natural Sciences Core courses can not. Course proposals may still be
submitted and are requested SOON!
- Flagged courses - Approval process began at the last USS meeting, 9/12. publishing a list in this
catalog revision seems pointless; referral to a reliable web site may be an option; USS recommends
that a list of USP-approved courses should not appear in the new catalog, but reference to a frequently
updated web site should be given. Motion passed.
- University Studies Flag Course Approval - Can the USP recommend disapproval?
- Deadlines/time line - Departments need to submit flag course proposals SOON.
- Course syllabi should indicate the course meets USP requirements. Note that courses will be
reviewed at some later time and this criterion will be taken into account.
- Procedure? Proposal to USS, then to web and USP also looked new courses.
R. Miller moved that the A2C2 Chair receive USP and new courses proposals then distribute to
subcommittee. Motion withdrawn.
S. Eiken/P. Schumacher, M/S, that all new and USP course proposals be submitted on paper with 47
copies and then be distributed to appropriate subcommittee. Motion failed (4 - 10).
J. Campbell/P. Schumacher, M/S, that new courses be submitted to the Course/Program Proposal
subcommittee and then to the USP if required. Motion passed.
VII. Dean Gow - revised Associate in Arts degree program
S. Eiken/D. Ricciotti, M/S, to refer to Course/Program Proposal subcommittee. Motion passed.
VIII. VP Richardson - Transfer Curriculum
No information at this point
IX. Election of Course & Program Proposal Subcommittee members
Win Lewis volunteered to continue as Course & Program Proposal subcommittee chair. Thank you Win!
Volunteers were sought for subcommittee members. Election postponed.
X. Points of Information and Notifications
- Marketing - The course number for MKTG 335 Internet Marketing has changed to MKTG 339.
- Art - B.A. Art major, Graphic Design option - The requirement for MCOM 100 Mass Media and
Society (3 SH) has been dropped. ART 399 Internship (3 SH) is now required.
- Chemistry - B.S. Chemistry-Teaching major - CHEM 320 Environmental Chemistry (4 SH) is now
required. Chemistry electives will be reduced from 8 SH to 4 SH. Under Additional Requirements in
Geoscience, the listing GEOS 105 Astronomy (4 SH), GEOS 110 Oceanography (4 SH), or GEOS
Meteorology (4 SH) will be added. Natural Science Electives (4 SH) will be eliminated.
- Residential College - RC 130 Science & Fiction: Views Between Worlds (3 SH) will be offering as a
one-time course Spring 2002.
XI. Old Business
- Regulation 3-4 needs to be updated and approved.
- A2C2 and University Studies Process was covered under X. above
P. Schumacher/J. Johanson, M/S, that Kelly Herold should be recognized for his service as A2C2 chair for
the last three years. Motion passed with much applause and appreciation.
Chair adjourned meeting at 5:05 p.m.
Submitted by secretary,