Academic Affairs and Curriculum
Meeting Minutes September 11, 2002
Members Present: Beckry Abdel-Magid, J. Lawrence Bergin, Barbara
Boseker, Deb Cumberland, Amy Hermodson, Dan Kauffman, James Kobolt, Kendall Larson, Win Lewis, Rich MacDonald, Charla
Miertschin, Randy Miller, Pat Paulson, Dan Rand, Alicia Reed, James Reidy, Dom
Ricciotti, Greg Schmidt, Linda Seppanen, Richard Shields, Russ Smith, Cathy Summa, Ed
Thompson, Kerry Williams
- Meeting was call to order
- Adoption of agenda
No changes or additions -- approved by consensus.
- C. Summa/R.
Shields, M/S, to nominate Charla
Miertschin. Motion passed unanimously.
- Approval of minutes of April 24, 2002. (available at http://www.winona.edu/ifo/a2c2minutes/)
R. Shields/W. Lewis, M/S, to approve. Motion passed.
- Chair's report
Chair Charla Miertschin reported on success of last academic year and possible
upcoming issues (additional requirements policy and in progress grade
policy.) Errors in the 2002-2004 catalog were presented: Under
University Studies, the words "with lab" were omitted from the
Natural Science category. A2C2 members noted that no indication as
to which courses are lab courses is given which makes advising
difficult. The planning sheet, which is missing from the new catalog,
does include "with lab." There is also no mention of the CMST
191 test out procedure. For all curricular proposals, appropriate number
of copies (CPPS-40, USS-9) plus original are submitted to the A2C2 chair.
University Studies director Kerry Williams reminded departments to continue to submit flag proposals and suggested that
departments review the list of USP courses on the web for accuracy.
Contact Kerry Williams and/or the Registrar's Office if errors are identified. The list of US courses on the web should be the most
accurate and up-to-date list.
A question was raised concerning the university's policy on a student's
academic and financial status if called to active duty. Chair Miertschin will ask Registrar.
- Committee Assignments
- Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) - two rep. from each college.
minute caucus, the following representatives were identified.
- Liberal Arts
- Nursing & Health
Science - Linda
- Science & Engineering
- Ed Thompson,
C. Summa/B. Boseker, M/S, to approve subcommittee member.
- University Studies Subcommittee (USS)
- Liberal Arts
- _____ (to replace Alex Yard)
- Science & Engineering
(to replace Cathy Summa)
K. Williams/C. Summa, M/S, to approve subcommittee membership.
- General Education Substitutions
- Mohaded Ebrahim - FLAN 100 Beginning Arabic (3 SH) from WSU for Humanities.
Boseker, M/S, to approve. Motion passed.
- Carly Schiebel - HIST 315 Women in US History (4 SH) from WSU for Humanities.
M/S, to approve. Motion passed.
- Anne Krebsbach - PER 121 Intro. to Movement & Music (1 SH) from WSU for Physical
Education. R. Miller/W.
Lewis, M/S, to approve. Motion passed.
- Meghan Sanders - ENG 326 Figures in Literature (1 SH) from WSU for Basic Skills - English.
(Also has ENG 100 English Composition (3 SH) from SE Missouri State Univ.).
- University Studies Subcommittee report
Discussed under Item V. above.
- English: one-time course offering
- ENG 319 Theories and Methods in TESOL (2 SH) - Spring 2003
- Foreign Languages: USP Notification
- FREN 101 Beginning French I 101 (4 SH)
- FREN 102 Beginning French II (4 SH)
- FREN 201 Intermediate French I (4 SH)
- FREN 202 Intermediate French II (4 SH)
- FREN 402 French Lit. I (3 SH)
- FREN 403 French Lit. II (3 SH)
- FREN 301 French Composition (4 SH)
- FREN 401 Phonetics (3 SH)
- GERM 101 Elementary German I (4 SH)
- GERM 102 Elementary German II (4 SH)
- GERM 201 Intermediate German I (4 SH)
- GERM 202 Intermediate German II (4 SH)
- GERM 302 German Composition and Conversation (4 SH)
- GERM 401 Early Medieval to Baroque Literature (3 SH)
- GERM 402 18th & 19th Century Literature (3 SH)
- GERM 403 20th Century German Literature (3 SH)
- SPAN 101 Elementary Spanish I (4 SH)
- SPAN 102 Elementary Spanish II (4 SH)
- SPAN 201 Intermediate Spanish I (4 SH)
- SPAN 202 Intermediate Spanish II (4 SH)
- SPAN 301 Spanish Composition & Conversation (4 SH)
- SPAN 302 The Culture of Spain (3 SH)
- SPAN 401 Spanish Literature I (3 SH)
- SPAN 402 Peninsular Literature II (3 SH)
- Global Studies: one-time course offering
- CHIN 101 Chinese Language & Culture (3 SH) - Fall 2002
- Mass Communication: one-time course offering
- MCOM 415 Picture the River (3 SH) - Fall 2002
- PSY 498 Seminar in Psychology changed from 3 SH to variable 1-3 SH. The grade only
restriction will also be deleted.
- Old Business
- New Business
at 4:47 p.m.
Submitted by Pat Paulson