Academic Affairs and
Meeting Minutes of April
Attendees: Susan Ballard, Barbara Boseker, Chris Buttram, John Campbell, Gretchen Cohenour, Amy Hermodson, Dan Kauffman, James Kobolt, Fred Lee, Rich MacDonald, Charla Miertschin, Randy Miller, Pat Paulson, Anne Plummer, Joyce Quella, Alicia Reed, Melanie Reap, James Reidy, Linda Seppanen, Rich Shields, Ed Slowik, Cathy Summa, Ed Thompson
Guest: J.Paul Johnson
I. Call to order-The meeting was called to order at 3:38pm by Chair Charla Miertschin.
II. Adoption of agenda. Approved by consensus.
III. Approval of minutes of March 24, 2004 (available at http://www.winona.edu/ifo/a2c2mintues/) m/s Boseker/Shields to approve. No changes. Motion passed.
IV. Chair’s report
A. The final CPPS meeting of the semester was on March 31, 2004. This date provides adequate time for proposals to complete the approval process this spring.
B. The final USS meeting of the semester will be on April 14, 2004. Proposals must be submitted to A2C2 chair by April 7, 2004 to be considered at this meeting. This date does not guarantee adequate time for proposals to complete the approval process this spring.
C. The final A2C2 meeting of the semester will be on April 21, 2004. This is after the last faculty senate meeting. Items approved at the last A2C2 meeting may not be heard by senate until next fall.
V. General Education Course Substitution Requests
A. Meghan Evans - MUS 100 Understanding Music (3 SH) from UW-River Falls, HIST 1624 US History to 1865 (4 SH) from RCTC, and WSU Early Intervention Program - WSU Nursing/Olmsted County Public Health (70 SH) for Different Culture. Discussion regarding course content, concern about US History to 1865 counting as Different Culture course. Shields/Miller, m/s, to approve Early Intervention Program as a substitute for Different Culture. Summa/Hermodson, m/s, to table. 11 for/8 against. Motion to table passed.
VI. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) report, Ed Thompson from 3/31/04. Report-all courses and programs listed were approved. Motion passes.
A. New Courses
- ART 360 Graphic Design III (3 SH)
- ART 365 Graphic Design IV (3 SH)
- NURS 460 Cooperative Education in Nursing (3 SH)
- BIOL 109 Microbes and Society (3 SH)
- MCOM 205 Principles of Internet Communication (3 SH)
- GEOS 121 Dynamic Earth (3 SH)
- SCIE 401 Investigative Science III; Scientific Investigation in Your Community (4 SH)
B. Revised Courses
- HERS 389 Strength & Conditioning Principles & Programming (2 SH to 3 SH)
- ENGL 225 Topics in Literature (1-2 SH to 1-3 SH)
- ENGL 226 Topics in Writing (1-2 SH to 1-3 SH)
- ENGL 324 Projects in Writing & Language (1-2 SH to 1-3 SH)
- ENGL 325 Works of Literature (1-2 SH to 1-3 SH)
- ENGL 326 Figures in Literature (1-2 SH to 1-3 SH)
- ENGL 327 Genres in Literature (1-2 SH to 1-3 SH)
C. Revised Programs
- HERS: Exercise and Rehabilitative Science, Core Curriculum (49 SH)
- HERS: Athletic Training Option (34 SH)
- HERS: Exercise and Rehabilitative Science, Exercise Science Option (33-35 SH)
- GEOS BA Major, Geoscience Option (40-42 SH) [Revision of the Water Resources Management option]
- ART Graphic Design Option (66 SH)
A2C2 approved all courses and programs.
VII. University Studies Subcommittee (USS) report, J. Paul Johnson from
A. Course Requirements
1. Unity & Diversity: Global Perspectives
GS 255 Peoples & Culture of South and Southeast Asia (3 SH)
B. Flag Courses
PS 321 American Presidency (3 SH)
PS 322 Political parties & Pressure Groups (3 SH)
PS 330 Race and American Politics (3 SH)
PS 333 Media & Politics (3 SH)
CS 341 Advanced Data Structures (4 SH)
SPED 441 Practicum B/Internship-DD (15 SH)
SPED 446 Practicum B/Internship-LD (15 SH)
A2C2 approved all courses.
A. Art - US Notifications
1. ART 444 Senior Seminar (3 SH) - Oral flag for spring 2004.
B. Education - Program name changes
- Current: K-6 middle school w/math specialty, new: K-8 w/math specialty
- Current: K-6 middle school w/science specialty, new: K-8 w/science specialty
- Current: K-6 middle school w/social studies specialty, new: K-8 w/social studies specialty
- Current: K-6 middle school w/communication arts/literature specialty, new: K-8 w/communication arts/lit specialty
C. Nursing - US Notifications
1. NURS 425 Transcultural Issues in Health Care (3 SH) - Unity & Diversity: Multicultural Perspectives for fall 2001 through spring 2004. [Note: Course number changed to NURS 325 in spring 2004.]
D. Special Education - US Notifications
1. SPED 441 Practicum B/Internship-DD (15 SH) - Oral flag for fall 2001 through spring 2004
2. SPED 446 Practicum B/Internship-LD (15 SH) - Oral flag for fall 2001 through spring 2004
IX. Old Business
X. New Business
A. USPAP –Discussion on issue of reassign time/compensation for assessment committee chairs. What is wrong with reassigned time? What would be the appropriate compensation be? Cohenour/Buttram, m/s, to ask for replace "honoria" with reassigned time of three credit hours per semester per year for each faculty area committee chair and that replacement funding be provided to the departments. Motion passed.
Shields/Thompson, m/s, to amend USPAP recommendation to senate to include 3 credit hours per semester reassigned time for the A2C2 Chair. 9 for/10 against. Motion failed.
Summa/MacDonald, m/s, that the A2C2 chair be compensated with four semester hours of reassigned time per semester per year with replacement. Motion passed.
XI. Adjournment The meeting was adjourned by at 4:50pm by Chair Charla Miertschin.