Academic Affairs and
Meeting Minutes of November
Attendees: Barbara Boseker, Chris Buttram, John Campbell, Gretchen Cohenour, Andy Ferstl, Dan Kauffman, Fred Lee, Charla Miertschin, Celeste Miller, Randy Miller, Deanne Mohr, Pat Paulson, Alicia Reed, James Reidy, Susan Sefkow, Ed Slowik, Cathy Summa, Ed Thompson
Guests: J. Paul Johnson
I. Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 3:40 pm by Chair Charla Miertschin
II. Adoption of agenda. Changes-typos in notifications. Additions-VII.
C. 2. POLS 488. Adopted by concensus.
III. Approval of minutes of November 5, 2003. (available at
Summa/Miller, m/s, to approve with the correction of date and under X. A.
...Three representative will meet to... Motion passed.
IV. Chair’s report
Negotiations-Faculty Senate has been discussing this. There will be more negotiations this weekend.
WSU Regulation 3-4 Notifications - A2C2 recommendation to
change policy from Dean’s approval to Dean’s recommendation was not approved.
New Notifications form was e-mailed to A2C2 representatives, alternates, and
chairs on 11/15/03.
V. Committee Assignments - positions remaining to be filled
A. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS)
1. Business: __Sohail Subhani__________________
Thompson/Miller, m/s, to approve new
member. Motion passed.
B. University Studies Subcommittee (USS)
1. Education: ____________________
VI. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) report. Report
by Ed Thompson.
There will be no meeting on 11/26/03. CPPS
recommends the following courses with no "nay" votes.
A. New courses
1. HHP 364 - Practicum in Movement Science (1-3 SH)
2. HHP 390 - Movement Science Research Design (3 SH)
3. HHP 412 - Movement Science Research Data Collection (2 SH)
4. HIST 428 - The History of Biography (3 SH)
5. HIST 467 - Foreign Travelers in "Exotic" Lands (3 SH)
6. HIST 468 - History of the Andean Nations (3 SH)
B. Revised courses
1. HIST 315 - Women in U.S. History (from 4 SH to 3 SH)
2. CHEM 410/510 - Polymer Chemistry (from 2 SH to 3 SH)
3. CHEM 411 - Polymer Synthesis and Characterization (from 2 SH to 3 SH)
C. New programs
1. HHP: Movement Science Option (45-47 SH)
D. Revised programs
1. CHEM: Chemistry Minor - from "Option B" to "Polymer Chemistry" (27-31 SH)
2. BUSA: Business Administration Major (from 69 SH to 66 SH)
A2C2 approved all
courses and programs.
VII. University Studies Subcommittee report. Report by J. Paul Johnson.
A. USP Course substitution process - Guidelines accepted at Meet & Confer. Students will not always be required to defend requests in person.
B. USP Assessment Plan - Workgroup working on plan
and hope to bring plan to A2C2 by the end of this semester.
C. Flag Course
NURS 445 Management and Leadership (3 SH)
POLS 488 Issues in International Politics (3
A2C2 approved all courses.
A. Business Administration
- Bank the following minor: B.S. Minor – International Business
- MGMT 415 Theories of Management (3 SH) - change in prerequisites. Current: MGMT 315. New: MGMT 315 or MGMT 325.
- MIS 332 Business Programming Tools (3 SH) - change in prerequisites. Current: DIS 312 or instructor’s permission. New: MIS 312.
- MIS 342 Advanced Business Computer Applications (3 SH) - change in prerequisites. Current: DIS 312 or instructor’s permission. New: MIS 362.
- MIS 362 Management Information Systems (3 SH) - change in prerequisites. Current: DIS 202 or instructor’s permission. New: MIS 202 or ACCT 220.
- MIS 462 Decision Support Systems (3 SH)-change in prerequisites. Current: DIS 362. New: MIS 362.
- Prefix change from POM (Production and Operations Management) to OM (Operations Management) for the following courses: 334, 344, 414, 434, 444, 464, 494.
- OM 334 Production and Operations Management (3 SH)- change in prerequisites. Current: DIS 220. New: For business majors, BUSA 220; MIS strongly recommended; for non-college of business majors, BUSA 220 or its equivalent.
- OM 464 Project Management (3 SH) - change in prerequisites. Current: DIS 220. New: BUSA 220 or its equivalent.
B. Business Education
- BUED 452/552 Managing Training & Development Programs (3 SH) - change in number and title-New: BUED 442/542 The Adult Learner (3 SH).
- MATH 050 Intermediate Algebra (3 SH) - change in course description. New: A review of intermediate algebra topics designed to prepare the student for college-level mathematics. MATH 050 is a non-degree credit course and will not count toward meeting minimum total credit requirements for graduation. P/NC only.
- MATH 100 Survey of Mathematics (3 SH) - change in course description. New: Study of networking, probability, statistical inference, and logic designed to illustrate the connection between contemporary mathematics and modern society. Grade only. Prerequisite: qualifying score on the mathematics placement exam or MATH 050. Note: This course fulfills certain Board of Teaching (BOT) requirements for Education majors.
- MATH 110 Finite Mathematics (3 SH) - change in course description. New: Applications of matrices, linear programming, probability, and the mathematics of finance to real-life problems. This course provides the non-calculus mathematics background necessary for students in business, management, and social sciences. Prerequisite: qualifying score on the mathematics placement exam or MATH 050.
- MATH 150 Modeling using Precalculus and Statistics, 155 Modeling Using Calculus (each 3 SH) - change in course description. New: A two-semester sequence designed for earth and life-science majors to develop their algebraic, trigonometric, statistical, and calculus skills through modeling applications. Prerequisite for 150: qualifying score on the mathematics placement exam or MATH 050. Prerequisite for 155: MATH 150.
- MATH 340 Advanced Linear Algebra (3 SH) - change in prerequisite. Current: MATH 130 and MATH 210. New: MATH 130 or MATH 270 or permission of instructor.
- MATH 460 Survey of Mathematics (3 SH) - change in prerequisite. Current: MATH 330 and MATH 335. New: MATH 330.
- MTED 320 Teaching Mathematics in the Secondary Schools I (3 SH) - change in course description. Add: (Approximately 30 additional hours.)
- MTED 420 Teaching Mathematics in the Secondary Schools II (3 SH) - change in course description. Add: a public presentation and field experience are required.
- MTED 421 Middle School Methods in Mathematics (1 SH) - change in course description. New: Organization and methods of teaching mathematics in the middle school, including a ten hour field experience. Prerequisite: MATH 210 of MTED 125.
- STAT 110 Fundamental of Statistics (3 SH) - change in course description. New: Introductory statistics with emphasis on applications. NOTE: Students in certain majors should take STAT 210 instead of STAT 110.
- STAT 305 Biometry (3 SH) - change in prerequisite. Current: MATH 150 or MATH 155 or instructor’s permission. New: MATH 120 or MATH 150 or instructor’s permission.
- Bank the following major: B.S. Major – Physics: Option II - Applied Nuclear Science
E. Theatre and Dance
- B.A. Minor – Dance - Move BIOL 211 Anatomy & Physiology I (4 SH) from the list of required theory courses to the list of electives. Required theory course credits would be reduced from 13 to 9 and elective course credits would be increased from 5 to 9 SH.
IX. Old Business
A. Changes in library service - Senate wants to know if this will affect academics.
Issues: Inter Library Loan, Will level of service return to pre levels?, Why could not the old system be kept operational until the new system is brought on line?,
Why were we notified so (seemingly) late?
B. Transfer of credit - MN House bill
- Senate would like to hear our concern.
McKeon Affordability Act in higher education-trying to make it easier for students to transfer between institutions.
Is this the legislature's way of taking the power away from the receiving
XI. New Business
Chair Charla Miertschin adjourned the meeting at 4:11pm.