Academic Affairs and
Meeting Minutes of December
Attendees: Susan Ballard, Barbara Boseker, Chris Buttram, John Campbell, Gretchen Cohenour, Andy Ferstl, Amy Hermodson, Dan Kauffman, James Kobolt, Fred Lee, , Rich MacDonald, , Charla Miertschin, Celeste Miller, Pat Paulson, Anne Plummer, Joyce Quella, Alicia Reed, Susan Sefkow, Ed Slowik, Russ Smith, Cathy Summa, Ed Thompson
Guest: J. Paul Johnson
I. Meeting was called to order at 3:36 pm by Chair Charla Miertschin.
II. Adoption of agenda, motion passes by consensus.
III. Approval of minutes of November 19, 2003. (available at
Summa/Hermodson, m/s, to approve. Motion passed.
Next meeting date is schedules for December 17th, during finals week. Chair proposes an e-approval of courses, programs and notifications by electronic means from subcommittees. Limit to specific voting on items. If USS approves the USP Assessment Plan, an A2C2 meeting will be called on 1/14/2004. Approved by consensus.
V. Committee Assignments - position remaining to be filled
A. University Studies Subcommittee (USS)
1. Education: ____________________
VI.General Education Substitution Requests
A. Aaron Ratz - JPN 101 Elementary Japanese (4 SH) from WSU for Different Cultures. Thompson/Boseker, m/s, to approve. Motion passed.
VII. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) report, Ed Thompson - No report.
VIII. University Studies Subcommittee (USS) report, J. Paul Johnson - working on assessment plan for US.
IX. Notifications, no problems or discussion.
1. BIOL 104 - course title change. Current: Conservation of the Environment (3SH), new: The Environment, Society & Conservation
B. Business Administration
1. B.S. Minor – Production and Operations Management - The option of STAT 303 Introduction to Engineering Statistics (3 SH) added to required courses. New: BUSA 220, STAT 210 or STAT 303. Two courses added to list of electives choices: ENGR 390 Composites Manufacturing (3 SH) and ENGR 420 Computer Integrated Manufacturing (3 SH)
1. CHEM 431 Guided Study in Teaching Chemistry - credit hour change. Current: 1-2 SH, new: 2 SH.
D. Computer Science
1. CS 210 - course title and description change. Current: Computers in Society (3 SH), new title: Computers in a Global Society, description same up to... Based on this technical perspective, the course looks at the role technology plays in the United States, as well as its effect on nations and cultures all over the world. The impact and significance of the information age is explored in several different contexts including economic, political, cultural, legal, environmental, historical, ergonomic, and psychological
1. HIST 423/523 - course title and description change. Current: Twentieth Century England (3 SH), new title: Modern England, description: England in the modern era from the height of imperial power to the present.
1. MUS 207 - course title change. Current: Electronic Music II (3 SH), new: Music Technology II.
2. B.S. Major – Music Education (Teaching) - realignment of five THAD courses among required and elective course listings. Total credit hours remain the same. Theatre & Dance dept. was notified and has agreed to the changes.
X. Old Business - None.
XI. New Business - None.
XII. Adjournment - Meeting was adjourned at 3:49 pm by Chair Charla Miertschin.