Academic Affairs and
October 6, 2004
Meeting Minutes of
Attendees : Larry Bergin, Barbara Boseker, Ron Elcombe, Armando González, Dan Kauffman, James Kobolt, Ethan Krase, Tonia Krueger, Kathryn Lammers, Fred Lee, Chris Malone, Rich MacDonald, Charla Miertschin, Robert Newberry, Pat Paulson, Melanie Reap, James Reidy, Ann Rethlefsen, Greg Schmidt, Paul Schumaker, Susan Sefkow, Richard Shields, Cathy Summa
I. Call to order & welcome. The meeting was called to order by acting chair Charla Miertschin at 3:34pm
II. Adoption of agenda - approved by consensus
A. Chair: Charla Miertschin was nominated two weeks ago. m/s Lee/Paulson to close
nomination. Motion passed. Charla Miertschin was subsequently
elected as 2004-2005 chair.
IV. Approval of minutes of September 22, 2004. (available at http://www.winona.edu/ifo/a2c2mintues/)
Summa/Kauffman m/s to approve with corrections to attendees. Motion
V. Chair’s report
- Reassigned time or overload for 2004-2005 chairperson.
- Potential Issues – A2C2 can take a more active role. Some issues that
have surfaced informally are course repeater policy, PE credit for athletics,
and the lateness of the last day to drop class date. Please bring issues
to the attention of the chair.
VI. General Education Course Substitution Requests
A. Amy Nissalke - GS 400 Global Studies Seminar (3 SH) from WSU for Different Culture. m/s Bergin/Kobolt to approve. Motion passed.
VII. Committee Assignments
A. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) - two representatives from each college.
1. Liberal Arts - No nominee provided.
VIII. Course & Program Proposal Subcommittee report
- Chair - Fred Lee was elected as chair and delivered report.
- New Course Proposal
1. PER 222 Resource Applications in Program Delivery for Recreation, Tourism, and Therapeutic Recreation (3
2. SOC 424 Ethical Issues in Criminal Justice (3 SH) – tabled, missing paperwork has been provided.
3. CHEM 210 Allied Health Chemistry (5S H)
Motion passes to adopt CPPS recommendation.
- Revised Course Proposals
1. HIST 233 History of Mexico (3 SH) revised to HIST 463 History of Mexico (3 SH)
- Revised Program Proposals
1. B.S. Major - Nursing: Generic Option (96 SH)
All courses and programs were unanimously approved (except where noted).
Next meeting: Oct. 13 in Kryzsko Conference Room 118, 3:30 p.m.
A2C2 approved all courses and programs.
IX. University Studies Subcommittee report, J. Paul Johnson. Dan Kauffman delivered
- Course proposals
1. Arts & Science Core: Humanities
ENG 106 ESL: Academic Reading and Writing I (3SH)
2. Unity & Diversity: Multicultural Perspectives
ENG 107 ESL: Academic Reading and Writing II (3SH)
- Flag proposals
1. Writing flag
CS 385 Applied Database Management Systems (3), - pending editorial corrections
POLS 260 Classical Political Theory (3)
POLS 325 Modern Political Theory (3)
POLS 358 Contemporary Political Theory (3)
A2C2 approved all courses under A and B.
- US Course Substitutions
1. Heidi Redman - BIOL 104 Conservation (3 SH) for Natural Science. (taken as Science & Social Policy) Motion passes.
2. Nathan Strauss - THAD 111 What is Theatre? (3 SH) for Humanities. Motion passes.
- University Studies Program Assessment Plan (USPAP). Discussion regarding the need to have assessment, but at the same time have the time available to do the assessment correctly. This means adequate reassigned time.
The subcommittee feels that 3 SH of reassigned time per semester per chair person is what is needed.
m/s Schmid/Boseker to accept 10 additional duty days as compensation for serving as the
assessment area committee chair. Motion failed unanimously.
m/s Shields/Schmidt to propose 20 extra duty days (10 each semester) for this academic year and then 3
SH reassigned time per semester beginning in academic year 2005-2006. Motion passed.
- Computer Science - one-time course offering: CS 482 Internet/Web architecture & Development (3 SH), Spring 2005.
- English - course title change: current - ENG 328 Stylistics (3 SH). New: English Syntax.
XI. Old Business
- A2C2 Chairperson Term, Duties, and Election Policy (Please see attached document.)
The ad-hoc subcommittee created a proposed policy. After a discussion of the policy and minor typographical corrections, Elcombe/Shields m/s to approve.
Motion passed. Chair asked that nominations to be brought to next A2C2 meeting of October 20
with the election to be held on November 3.
XII. New Business
XI. Adjournment. Meeting was adjourned at 4:48 pm by Chair Charla Miertschin.