Approved by Faculty Senate.
University Studies Course Approval
Department of Physical Education and Recreation
College of Education
PER Course Number: 100
Course Title: Soccer
Semester Hours: 1 SH
Frequency of Offering: Each Semester
This is a 1 credit University Studies course that satisfies the "Physical
Development and Wellness"
component of the students Basic Skills program. Designated University Studies
outcomes for this
course are listed below
Outcome #1 Learn skills that will improve the quality and length of their lives.
Outcome #2 Make proactive choices leading to a healthier lifestyle.
Outcome #3 Explore dimensions of personal health promotion and disease prevention.
Outcome #5 Understand health as multidimensional, involving the whole persons
relationship to the total environment.
Outcome #6 Utilize physical activity to reduce medical risks and provide relaxation,
socialization and balance in their lives.
Outcome #8 Enhance creative use of leisure time.
Outcome #9 Develop skills consistent with efficient levels of human movement.
Fundamental skills and knowledge necessary for the recreational purposes of the
Includes rules, conditioning and strategy.
- This course will provide the opportunity to develop and improvement of basic
soccer skills. (Outcomes #1,9)
- This course will equip students with knowledge of the rules and strategies to be
a successful soccer player.
- This course will provide students with the information needed to detect errors
and correct them. (Outcome #9)
- This course will provide the appreciation for the use of soccer skills and
strategies (Outcome # 8 & 9)
- This course will provide the opportunity for the encouragement of sportsmanship
and soccer etiquette. (Outcome #2)
- Individuals are encouraged to develop a regular group of soccer players that are
willing to meet on a regular basis. (Outcome #2,8)
- Soccer allows individuals to develop skills that can help them to be physically
active today and through their retirement years. Soccer provides a full body and
cardiovascular workout. (Outcomes #1,2,5,6)
- Introduction to soccer
A. Aims and objectives of class
B. Brief historical background
C. Equipment Care and usage (Outcomes #5,9)
D. Basic etiquette (Outcomes # 1,2,6)
E. Health and social benefits (Outcomes
II. Offensive Skills (outcome #1 and 9)
Defensive Skills (Outcomes #1,9)
C. Goal Keep
IV. Rules of the game
Basic Instructional Plan and Methods
Lectures, demonstrations, video tapes, and group activity sessions.
(outcomes #1, 2,3,5, 6, 8, 9)
- Complete 4 of the criteria
100% attendance and participation
- Complete 3 of the criteria
Demonstrate the ability to perform offensive
and defensive skill
- Complete 2 of the criteria
Positive attitude, etiquette and effort
- Complete 1 of the criteria
Demonstrate knowledge of the general rules
Textbook - None Required
Widdows, Richard. The Arco Book of Soccer Techniques and Tactics. Arco
Brown, Michael J. Soccer Rules in Pictures. Putman