Approved by Faculty Senate.
University Studies Course Approval
Department of Physical Education and Recreation
College of Education
PER Course Number: 101
Semester Hours: 1 SH
Frequency of Offering: Each semester
Course Title: Basketball
This is a 1 credit University Studies course that satisfies the "Physical
Development and Wellness"
component of the students Basic Skills program. Designated University Studies
outcomes for this
course are listed below
Outcome #1 Learn skills that will improve the quality and length of their lives.
Outcome #2 Make proactive choices leading to a healthier lifestyle.
Outcome #3 Explore dimensions of personal health promotion and disease prevention.
Outcome #5 Understand health as multidimensional, involving the whole persons
the total environment.
Outcome #6 Utilize physical activity to reduce medical risks and provide relaxation,
and balance in their lives.
Outcome #8 Enhance creative use of leisure time.
Outcome #9 Develop skills consistent with efficient levels of human movement.
1. Catalog Description The development of basic fundamental skills,
knowledges and strategies
involved in beginning basketball in order to be able to enjoy playing
2. Statement of the Major Focus and Objectives of
This class will attempt to develop and improve current basketball
and techniques. Individual mastery of skills as well as team
will be taught.
- Demonstrate the basic basketball skills enabling the student to play the game.
- Improve cardiovascular endurance through full participation of this course.
- Complete the required warm-up activities daily. (Outcomes 2,6,9)
- Cooperate in a sportsmanlike behavior during drills and game play. (Outcomes
- Complete in game play adhering to the official rules of basketball. (Outcomes
- Improve offensive and defensive team strategy. (Outcomes 1,5)
3. Course Outline of Major Topics and Subtopics
I. Pre-Tests (Outcomes 1,9)
A. Dribbling with change of directions
B. Chest Passing
II. Basic individual skills (Outcomes 1,6,8)
E. Screens & Picks
III. Basic Team Skills (Outcomes 8.6)
A. Pick & Roll
B. Give & Go
C. Fast Breaks
D. Team defense
IV. Patterned offense (Outcomes 6,8)
A. Motion offense
V. Game Play (Outcomes 2,6,8,9)
VI. Post Testing (Outcomes 1,9)
(same as I.)
4. Basic Instructional Plan and Teaching Methods
Basic instructional methods will be demonstrations and videos.
5. Course Requirements and Evaluation
A. Completion of pre & post skills tests
B. Attendance required unless student has excused absence
6. Textbook or Alternative
A textbook will not be required for this class. Handout
sheets will be given to fully explain game rules.
7. List of References and Bibliography
Johnston, B., Practical Basketball, Stipes
Wilkes, G., Basketball, WM.C. Brain, 1990
Krause, Jerry. Coaching Basketball, Masters Press, 1991.