F-1 Visa Students

DO NOT let your I-20 expire!

Check the first page of your I-20 section "5" to see the expiration date. If more time needed, please fill the I-20 Extension form (PDF) and submit that to International Services Office.

An F1 visa is a temporary student visa that allows international students to study full-time at an accredited academic institution. International students wishing to participate in an English language course in the US may also be eligible for an F1 visa.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training is a work authorization that allows F1 students to engage in internship or practicum courses as they work toward their degrees.  

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is defined as "Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Under the prior rules, an F-1 student could be authorized to receive up to a total of 12 months of practical training either before (pre-) and/or after (post-) completion of studies.

*STEM Extension

STEM Extension is an additional 17 months of post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) granted to certain government-designated STEM degree-holders in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

 Severe Economic Hardship

If you are suffering a severe economic hardship due to unforeseen changes in your financial circumstances, you may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for authorization to work off-campus.

 On-Campus Employment

F1 students are eligible to work on-campus. If you have plan to work on-campus, you can find more information here.

 Reduced Course Load

International students in F-1 status are required to maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year. If you cannot or will not meet this requirement, you must complete a Request for Reduced Course Load (RCL) and meet an advisor in ISCO to discuss your request.

A Reduced Course Load (RCL) based on the Academic Difficulty can be approved only once while pursuing a course of study at a particular program level.

Important: By reducing your load of classes does not mean you will pay less tuition.  For additional information, click here.

 Transfer-Out (to leave WSU)

This form is used to notify the International Services Office of your intent to transfer to another academic institution.  Please read this document in detail.  Upon receipt of this completed, signed form, we will release your SEVIS record so the new school can issue a new I-20. 

 Transfer-Recommendation (to attend WSU)

Any F-1 student who wishes to transfer to Winona State from another institution in the United States should submit this form and it must be completed entirely.

Transfer Recommendation Form (PDF)


Request for Letter From International Services

If you need Academic Good Standing letter from International Services, you should fill this form first and submit that to ISO.

 Lost or Stolen Immigration Documents

If you have lost any of your immigration documents (passport, I-20, I-94, EAD card), you should immediately take action to find out how they can be replaced.


In the instance of losing your F1 status, you should fill the reinstatement application form.


Tips for Traveling

As an International student you may enter the United States multiple times if you hold a valid F1 Student Visa. It is important that the F1 Student Visa holders have all the necessary documents and signed authorizations to avoid any problems at the U.S. port of entry. The passport must also be valid for a certain amount of time in order to be granted entry. F1 Visa holders can also travel freely within the United States.