Inviting Family Members to Visit the U.S.
Information about the Visitor's B-2 Visa
If you are graduating soon and would like to invite your parents or other family members to attend commencement, here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor's visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in your home country.
- Write a letter of invitation. In your letter include the following information
- purpose of the visit
- your relationship to the individuals
- your status at Winona State University
- The length of time they will be visiting
- Itinerary of the visit
- Include an Enrollment Verification Letter from the Registrar’s Office to confirm your student status
For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the U.S. Department of State visa information.
Providing your family members with a letter of invitation may help their chances of obtaining a visa. However, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of the applicant's request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.