Inviting Family Members to Visit the U.S.

Information about the Visitor's B-2†Visa

If you are graduating soon and would like to invite your parents or other family members to attend commencement, here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor's visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in your home country.

  • Write a letter of invitation. In your letter include the following information
    • purpose of the visit
    • your relationship to the individuals
    • your status at Winona State University
    • The length of time they will be visiting
    • Itinerary of the visit
  • Include an Enrollment Verification Letter from the Registrarís Office to confirm your student status
    • Provide†details of the Commencement Ceremony
    • Request a graduation anouncement letter by completing this form

For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the U.S. Department of State†visa information.

Providing your family members with a letter of invitation may help their chances of obtaining a visa. However, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of the applicant's request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.

Contact Us

Winona State University
International Services
Kryzsko Commons 233
175 West Mark Street
Winona, MN 55987
Phone: +1.507.457.5303
Fax: +1.507.457.2474