Degree Options in Math Education
Middle Level Mathematics
Future Trends in Mathematics Education
- According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-2011, employment of teachers is expected to grow by 13% between 2008 and 2018. STEM related teaching fields are in high demand.
- According to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), 18% of schools had a very difficult time filling vacancies for Mathematics Teachers.
- In a STEM teaching promotion flyer by Teach.com, they state that in the year 2000, 31% of high school students were taught by teachers without a major or teaching certificate (see graph below).
- Overall, there is a growing awareness that the two major influences in a child’s success in school comes from 1) teacher’s content knowledge and 2) teacher’s care and understanding for his or her students (Brahier 2013).
- STEM education is the growing trend of the future with an increased emphasis on mathematical modelling, inquiry, mathematical applications, and data analysis.