Winona State University-Rochester offers the Individualized Studies major, which is an in-depth major requiring no minor. This program is designed for the working adult who may not be pursuing a career change, but would like to complete a Bachelor's Degree for the purpose of upward mobility within a present career position; or for his/her own personal development.
Through the "Path to Purple" Program, students can complete this Bachelor of Arts degree in its entirety at Rochester by completing lower division credits at Rochester Community and Technical College and the major's upper division credits at WSU-Rochester.
The Individualized Studies major allows students to pursue individualized academic interests and personal/professional goals within the framework of an academically sound Bachelor of Arts degree program. It is an excellent alternative for the mature student who wants to build on past experience and design his or her own degree program for current or future needs. It offers students a great deal of flexibility and allows for intellectual growth in a variety of academic areas.
Admission to WSU
- Transfer students must have completed at least 24 transferable semester college-level credits (with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.40) at a regionally accredited college or university.
- Transfer students who have completed fewer than 24 transferable semester college-level credits at a regionally accredited college or university must submit a final high school transcript and (1) have an ACT score of 21 or higher or (2) have an ACT score of 18 or higher and have been in the top 50% of their graduating class.
- Apply online at www.winona.edu
- Submit official transcripts for all colleges, technical colleges, or universities attended to: WSU Admissions Office, P.O. Box 5838, Winona, MN 55987-5838.
- Submit the $20 non-refundable fee, if applicable, to Admissions, Student Services, or the Cashier’s Office at UCR.
Individualized Studies: General Option Requirements
- Completion of 48 S.H. upper division (300 and 400 level) courses.
- All course prerequisites must be completed.
- Students will complete the standard WSU University Studies program, 48 upper-division credits, electives to reach a minimum of 120 credits, and will have on file a statement of goals and objectives for the major.
- Students may declare up to two minors within the requirements of this major.
- A maximum of 9 credits applying to the major may be taken on a P/NC basis.
- All other WSU policies apply.
- Professional Studies majors are advised by the Outreach and Continuing Education Department (OCED) faculty. Advisors meet with students at WSU-Rochester by appointments.
- When declaring the major, students must submit a statement of their goals and objectives for the major, which will be reviewed by the OCED advisor and retained in the student's file.
For an advising appointment, contact:
507.285.7100 or 800.366.5418