Winona State University is committed to ensuring an educational environment free of sexual violence/assault. Acts of sexual violence, assault, or abuse, such as rape, acquaintance rape, or other forms of non-consensual sexual activity will not be tolerated on the Winona State University campus. Such acts are criminal behaviors and create an environment contrary to the goals and missions of the University. These acts will be swiftly investigated and will subject an individual to complaints and disciplinary sanctions under the System’s complaint procedure or university student conduct codes as well as possible referral to appropriate law enforcement agencies.
Victims of sexual violence or sexual harassment may report incidents to the appropriate University authorities, including the campus security office (telephone 457.5555), affirmative action office (telephone 457.5008), or student affairs (telephone 457.5300).
Victims’ Rights – victims of sexual violence occurring on the property owned by the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) will be informed of their rights under Minnesota State Statutes section 135A.15. These rights include the following:
1. The victim has the right to file criminal charges with local law enforcement officials.
2. Local University authorities, at the request of the victim, will provide assistance in notifying the appropriate law enforcement officials and disciplinary authorities of any incident of sexual assault.
3. At the direction of law enforcement authorities, the campus security office will provide complete and prompt assistance in obtaining, securing, and maintaining evidence in connection with an incident of sexual assault.
4. University authorities will provide assistance to the sexual assault victim or complainant in preserving materials relevant to a campus disciplinary proceeding.
5. All sexual assault complaints will be investigated and resolved consistent with the standards in MnSCU 1B.1.1 Report/Complaint of Discrimination/Harassment-Investigation and Resolution; 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy and MnSCU 1B.3.1 Sexual Violence Procedure.
6. The victim may be accompanied by an attorney or other support person at, and may participate in, any campus disciplinary proceeding concerning the sexual assault complaint.
7. The victim will be informed of the outcome of any campus disciplinary proceeding concerning the sexual assault complaint, consistent with laws relating to data practices.
8. At the request of the sexual assault victim, University authorities in cooperation with appropriate law enforcement authorities will provide assistance in shielding the victim from unwanted contact with the alleged assailant, including transferring the victim to alternative classes or alternative University-owned housing, if alternative classes or housing are available and feasible.
9. University authorities will inform sexual assault victims of their rights to assistance from the office of the Crime Victim Ombudsman and the Crime Victims Reparations Board and will provide assistance in contacting these offices.
Last Modified: 15:10 Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2009