BA Sociology Internship Coordinators: Dr. Aurea Osgood (AOsgood@winona.edu)
How do I apply for an internship or field experience?
- Read the Internship and Field Experience Handbook (PDF) for the appropriate semester.
- Complete the online survey - this will serve as your application to the internship.
- Arrange a time to meet with the internship coordinator for your appropriate semester (see above) to discuss your internship plans.
- When you have had your internship experience approved, you and your site supervisor should complete the Contract for Internship/Field Experience (PDF) and return the original signed forms to the appropriate internship coordinator (see above). Once these contracts are signed, you will be given a blue card for registration.
What is the value of an internship experience?
The internship or field experience in sociology will provide you with the practical experience and an opportunity to integrate and apply classroom skills and knowledge in a professional setting.
Internships and field experiences are meant to help you more easily transition from college classroom learning to professional employment.
The experience will give students a chance to try out skills and "try on" a career to see if it meets needs and expectations.
Through the internship or field experience you will continue your education, deepen your knowledge, add to and improve your skill set and enhance your understanding of the complexities of society, communities, agencies and private enterprises.
Each gives you the opportunity to (1) explore a particular field or occupation, (2) explore different roles and relationships within an organization, (3) apply and expand upon knowledge and skills learned in the classroom, (4) help an organization meet its goals, (5) develop professional relationships and (6) work toward obtaining professional employment.
Where have students interned recently?
- The Center: 7 Rivers LGBTQ Connection (La Crosse, WI) - a non-profit striving to "make the world a better place for LGBT people and their allies."
- Friendship Center (Winona, MN) - a City of Winona agency supporting "quality of life for older adults."
- Habitat for Humanity Restore (Winona, MN) - a fundraising component of Habitat for Humanity selling new and gently used building materials.
- SEMCAC - a Community Action Agency serving Southeast Minnesota assisting people achieve or maintain their independence and self-reliance through their own and community resources.
- Winona County Developmental Achievement Center (Winona, MN) - a day training and rehabilitation facility providing services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Women's Resource Center of Winona (Winona, MN) - an organization dedicated to "creating a safer community by eliminating sexual and domestic violence."