How do I apply to WSU if I am a veteran?
First-time applicants requesting admission must fill out an application form. Forms are available by request (507.457.5100) or at the Admissions website. At the top of the form write “Military Personnel.” (There is no spot to mark this on the online version -- find a spot near the top to type it). 

Admission to WSU should be granted because you are a veteran. The application fee will be waived. Submit military transcripts with the application (see following questions for military transcripts information). After being accepted to WSU and registering for classes, the next step is to inform our office.

(Note: Admission to a specific program offered at WSU is not guaranteed because you are a veteran, for example, the nursing program. You need to fulfill specific program eligibility requirements.)

How do I find out about education benefits and how do I apply for them?
Come to our office in Maxwell 110A to find out about education benefits and application processes, or visit: http://www.gibill.va.gov/.  This is the most important step to receiving Veterans Education Benefits for attending Winona State. We can help you up with everything you need and tell you exactly what needs to be done.  

How do I transfer?
Go to Admissions for transfer requirements and procedures. Contact our office about any forms you need to fill out.
How do I apply for G.I. Bill benefits?
A veteran needs to have an application for VA education benefits, DD-214, and a NOBE if applicable. Stop into our office so we can make a copy and mail it to the VA Regional Office. Application forms are available in the WSU Veterans Affairs Office (Maxwell 106).

How do I get paid?
Veterans must log onto the VA website to verify that the number of credits they are taking is correct. Verify at the beginning of each month to receive payment. This is not applicable to the Post 9/11 GI Bill or dependent benefits.  

What is DD-214?
These are your discharge or separation papers. We need Member 4 (stated in lower right-hand corner).

What is a NOBE?
Notice of Basic Eligibility. This is a temporary eligibility certificate that is issued to individuals in the active Selective Reserves or National Guard who have established eligibility for Chapter 1606, but whose computer record has not yet been updated to show the eligibility. It can be obtained from the unit’s education/readiness NCO/Officer (usually an AGR type).

How does the Post 9/11 GI Bill work?
Information on this benefit can be found at: http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Post-911.htm. Stop by our office for a basic overview of the benefit.

Does my tuition need be paid right away?
No. Our office puts all veterans on a deferred status. This means you don’t have to pay your bill until you start receiving your benefits.

How does school certification work?
Our office needs a copy of your application, DD214, and NOBE (if applicable) to put you into a VA database and check your enrollment in Winona State’s system. We certify your enrollment and the number of credits to the VA each semester using VA ONCE. We check your transcripts at the beginning of every semester to verify credits. Any change in academic load must be reported to our office to ensure proper certification and payment from the VA.

How do I transfer military training into WSU credits?
Log to any of these websites based on branch of service and request a military transcript:

U.S. Army
U.S. Navy
U.S. Marine Corps
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Coast Guard

What state benefits are available for veterans?
Visit this website to search by state: http://www.military.com/education/content/money-for-school/state-veteran-benefits.html. Note that some benefits may be used only while attending school in the specific state.

How do I transfer benefits to my children or spouse?
Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB) eligibility requirements can be found at this website: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/transfer_of_benefits.html. Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA) transferability requirements can be found at this website: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/other_programs/dea.html.

How does the tuition assistance/GO Army ED work?
Visit the GO Army ED website. The student is responsible for submission of courses to the Go Army ED site and the school is responsible for submission of grades.

How do I find out why I’m not receiving my benefits yet?
Call the VA (888.442.4551) or select “Ask a Question” on their website. The website may take a couple of days for a response but might be easier due to the high phone traffic at the VA.

Does Winona State have an ROTC program?
ROTC is available through the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. You can contact them for more information:  www.uwlax.edu/rotc or 608.785.8408

Does WSU have a CAC card reader so I can access my military email?
Our office is equipped with a card reader. Stop by during our office hours and ask to use it.

What happens if I get deployed during the semester?
Contact our office so we can adjust your enrollment certification and give you further assistance. Let your professors know about the deployment. Contact Student Accounts about waiving tuition and fees.

Is there class registration preference for veterans?
Registration is based on the number of credits a student has accumulated. No preference is available for veterans. However, a veteran may use the credits from military transcripts to increase their number of credits in order to register before some students.