Dr. Melanie Brooks
- Performing the very best compositions and transcriptions for symphonic band and wind ensemble.
- Collaborating with renowned local, national and international guest artists.
- Engaging with the community.
- Building lifelong friendships.
Welcome to the Winona State University band community!
The WSU Band program hosts concerts that serve the community, participates in regional tours and works with guest performers and composers from around the world. They have been noted for their exemplary interpretation of both classic and newly-commissioned wind literature.
Another meaningful event for the WSU Band program is its annual WSU High School Honor Band Festival, which draws students from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. The students who are selected for the Honor Band are eligible for WSU music scholarships. High school seniors interested in participating in the WSU Band program as a music major, music minor or non-music major are also eligible for WSU music scholarships.
Members of the WSU Band program may also participate in additional performing ensembles, including:
- Flute Choir
- Percussion Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble
- Saxophone Quartet
- Clarinet Quartet
Below is some helpful information as you prepare to get involved in the Band program:
- Participating in a Band program ensemble is considered a one-credit class, which can be used toward the music major or minor. For non-music majors and minors, this credit can be used as a university studies credit (Goal Area 6) toward graduation.
- If students are interested in joining one or more ensembles but do not own a musical instrument, the WSU Music Department has a limited supply of woodwind, brass and percussion instruments that can be used free of charge.
- The requirement to become involved in this program is to complete a brief audition meeting. These meetings are simply a formality used for seating purposes.
- The concert attire for all band ensembles is concert black. Pep Band attire is provided to all band students free of charge.
- A limited number of scholarships are available to students who participate in band.
There are many wonderful opportunities awaiting prospective students at Winona State University. We hope that incoming students will consider the band program in search for academic excellence.
For further information about the WSU Bands, please contact Dr. Melanie Brooks at Melanie.Brooks@winona.edu.