WSU Transfer Coursework Action Plan

Here’s a quick guide to help you understand how credits transfer to WSU:

  • WSU will determine what credits transfer and whether they meet degree requirements.  WSU accepts D grades for transfer.
  • WSU will review credits from courses and programs and look for equivalencies to course goals, content and level of instruction.
  • Not everything that transfers counts towards graduation requirements. Degree programs usually count credits in three categories:  general education, prerequisites, major/minor courses and electives.
  • Changing major or career goals may mean that you cannot complete all degree requirements within the usual number of graduation credits.

Winona State Credit Transfer Policies

WSU credit transfer policies depend on the type of institution previously attended or program in which students are enrolled. WSU also has articulation agreements in place with selected colleges.

All credits earned at any college or university accredited by CHEA ( will be reviewed for application towards the selected degree program. WSU reserves the right to determine whether previous course work provides a suitable base for advanced study.  All students have the right to appeal credit transfer decisions following WSU procedures (PDF). WSU also complies with Minnesota State system transfer credit appeal procedure (3.21.1)

Students who have not yet enrolled may print out this WSU transfer decision appeal form.

Currently enrolled students can use an online WSU appeal credit transfer decisions form.

Transfer credits meet WSU general education requirements if you have earned an AA degree after May 1985; you have earned a BA or BS; or if you have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC). AS or AAS degrees must fulfill the MnTC in order to waive WSU general education requirements. 

MnTC is a cooperative program between all public colleges and universities in Minnesota. To complete the entire MnTC, you must earn a minimum of 40 credits in the ten goal areas, as well as the requirements for each of the goal areas. Passing grades (A-D) for MnTC courses apply including transfer courses; however, a cumulative MnTC GPA of 2.0 is required to complete the entire 40 credit package.  WSU accepts D grades. 

If you are transferring to WSU from a participating institution and you have satisfied all 10 educational goals of the MnTC,  we will give you credit for completing all general education requirements.  See this dynamic listing of the most current WSU courses approved to meet MnTC goal areas. 

Students may also use Transferology to determine transferability of coursework. Minnesota Transfer has many tools and resources to assist transfer students.  

WSU complies with Minnesota State College and University guidelines, such as Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer Policy (3.21) and Procedure (3.21.1).

Technical College Credits


Contact Admissions if you are interested in transferring credits from technical colleges.

WSU will accept a 16-credit general elective package of college level technical courses offered by institutions with appropriate regional accreditation.   

Some departments may offer course transfer credit of technical classes that apply to a program of study. Students can obtain a special form to facilitate the process.

Students are considered transfer students if they are entering WSU from a technical college. They must submit an official transcript from the technical college. A high school transcript and appropriate admission test scores also are required for admission.

International Credits

International students must satisfy all WSU application procedures if they are not U.S. citizens.

Students who are not U.S. citizens are admitted on the basis of certified credential evaluations verifying completion of previous educational studies (failure to supply official mark sheets from ALL schools attended is considered fraud and grounds for canceling admissions or enrollment).

Students also must submit a TOEFL score with a minimum of 520. The university requires all non-native speakers of English to complete an on-campus English placement exam. The English test determines the appropriate English placement.

Students must present proof of financial responsibility for the full course of study. The university provides a specific financial support forms for this purpose. All financial obligations, including tuition, fees, room and board, must be paid when students register. The financial support statement is extremely important because very little financial aid is available to students who are not U.S. citizens. Immigration regulations prohibit these students from getting a job outside the campus community. In view of the increasing cost of education and unstable conditions around the world, WSU does not assume responsibility for emergency situations that can arise while students are in attendance.

Students also are required to have health insurance and if they don't have a health insurance policy, they are required to purchase one through the university.   

The deadline for submitting admissions material is one month before the first day of registration for any semester. The Admissions Office encourages students who are not U.S. citizens to complete the application process three months before the first day of registration for the semester in which studies are to begin. Submitting application material earlier allows the application to be processed correctly and lets university officials more effectively plan the required orientation programs.

3-Year Nursing Program Credits

• Licensed registered nurses who have completed three-year hospital training programs may receive 48 semester (72 quarter) credits of electives toward any undergraduate degree program except nursing.

• Thirty-two (32) semester credits will be applicable to the lower division; 16 semester credits to upper division coursework.

• To qualify, registered nurses need only present proof of satisfactory completion of RN tests as applicable. For further information, contact Admissions.

Military Credits

Veterans may be granted academic credit for formal military schools attended while on active duty. The American Council on Education Guide to the Evaluation Experience in the Armed Forces will be used to evaluate military experience. A copy of the student's SMART, AARTS, or CCAF transcript is required for the evaluation.  Additional information about system-wide military transfer is available on the Minnesota State website.

The DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) program is a series of examinations in college subjects that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examinations in undergraduate courses.  DANTES funds DSST testing for eligible Service members and personnel at DANTES military Test Centers. The DSSTs are now also available for use by civilians at universities and colleges throughout the country.  DSST exams can be individually reviewed by WSU academic departments.  See Transferology.

Credits By Exam

Credit for prior learning, such as Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) scores, are evaluated for the potential awarding of college credit according to WSU standards.


  • Students enrolled in PSEO courses must transfer those credits to WSU regardless of earned grade
  • Send an official transcript of all PSEO coursework to WSU
  • Find course equivalencies for PSEO courses at Transferology.

Correspondence Courses

While Winona State does not offer correspondence courses, the university accepts some correspondence work towards a degree.