Online Advising Toolkit
Through online advising, faculty advisors are able to support students wherever they are.
Zoom is the recommended tool for online advising because it is a free, feature-rich program available to all WSU students, faculty and staff. This toolkit focuses on best practices for using Zoom to provide online advising to students.
In addition to Zoom, advisors can choose alternate platforms such as Skype, Adobe Connect, WebEx, and others. Consult with TLT to discuss various technology options and training.
Additionally, advisors should have a firm grasp of advising pedagogy before they begin offering online advising services. Contact Advising Services at 507.457.5878 or email@example.com for support in understanding your role as an advisor.
Get Started with Online Advising
Set Up Online Appointments
Begin Your Meeting
- Consider plugging in your computer to the Ethernet to ensure a high-quality connection.
- Sign in to Zoom
- Confirm this is the correct student using photo or some other form of identification (last 4 of SSN, Warrior ID, DOB, etc.)
- To ensure student privacy, check to make sure you have only one student signed-in.
Troubleshoot During Your Meeting
After a few online advising sessions, you should be comfortable with the basic functions of Zoom.
However, technical problems can arise. Try these suggestions if you experience technical difficulties.
- Can't See the Meeting Options? Keep your mouse on the video to see options for screen sharing, chat and more.
- Trouble sharing a document? Sharing the screen is a simple method for reviewing documents.
- Student video not working or choppy? The student may not have high speed internet access where they are. Consider not using video if this is the case. If you are using a wireless connection, try plugging into the Ethernet to see if this resolves the issue.
- Sound issues? If sound isn’t working, consider using the chat function to communicate and/or having the student call in via phone. If you are getting feedback, both you and your student should use earbuds or a headset.
- Still stuck? Call TLT at 507.457.5240.