Become a Student Orientation Leader
Student orientation leaders will be hired for Fall 2021. Applications will open in Spring 2021.
During Welcome Week, student orientation leaders help incoming first-year students adjust socially and academically to Winona State University.
Student orientation leaders typically work with groups of about 20-30 first year students to help them get to know each other and learn about campus resources.
It’s a great opportunity to pass along insight and experience about campus life, current issues and expectations at WSU. Plus, you’ll benefit from:
- Earning a $200 scholarship
- Gaining practical leadership experience
- Building your resume
If this sounds appealing to you, consider applying to be a student orientation leader!
There are approximately 50 student orientation leader positions available each year.
To qualify for the position, you must meet these requirements:
- Be in good academic standing (67% or greater course completion rate) and have a minimum WSU GPA of 2.2 or higher.
- Be available for New Student Welcome Week for leader training to prepare for and to work with incoming first-year students Aug. 18-21, 2021 from 8am-3:30pm
- Connect with assigned students at least three times during Fall semester in any way. You could reach out using email, Facebook, attending a campus event together, visiting their Orientation classroom during the semester, etc.
- Be willing to help facilitate short interactive sessions on cultural awareness, alcohol and drug awareness prevention, active bystander education (how to safely intervene in situations of gender-based violence) and other helpful topics.
In general, good student leaders are cheerful, resourceful and helpful to our incoming students. They are also highly knowledgeable of WSU’s campus resources.
The sooner you submit your application the sooner you can choose your preferred interview date and time that works best for you and your schedule. Please submit your application TODAY!
How to Apply
To apply for a position, complete the short online Student Orientation Leader Application. The application can be completed in as little as 5-10 minutes.
How to Edit a Previously Submitted Application
Edit a previously submitted application.
The application window is open until Wednesday, April 8.
Note: The Warrior Success Center reserves the right to extend the application deadline, if needed.
Optional: You can request a WSU Faculty or Staff member serve as your reference by copying, pasting and emailing this note to them:
"Hi, I am applying to become a WSU Student Leader to help incoming WSU students with their social and academic adjustment to campus. You can complete a short reference form for me."