Become a Student Orientation Leader
Approximately 50 student orientation leaders will be hired for Fall 2022.
Submit your application by March 14.
The sooner you apply, the sooner you can choose your preferred seven- to 10-minute interview time!
Being a Student Orientation Leader
During Welcome Week, student orientation leaders help incoming first-year students adjust socially and academically to Winona State University.
Student orientation leaders typically work with groups of about 20-30 first-year students to help them get to know one another and learn about campus resources.
It’s a great opportunity to pass along your insight and experience about campus life, current issues, and expectations at WSU.
Plus, you’ll benefit from:
- Earning a $225 scholarship
- Gaining practical leadership experience
- Building your resume
If this sounds appealing to you, consider applying to be a student orientation leader!
To qualify for a student orientation leader position, you must meet these requirements:
- Be in good academic standing (i.e. 67% or greater course completion rate) and have a minimum WSU GPA of 2.2 or higher.
- Be available Aug. 17-20, 2022 from 8am-3:30pm for New Student Welcome Week and leader training, where you'll prepare for and work with incoming first-year students.
- Connect with your assigned students at least three times during the fall semester in any way. You could reach out to them using email or Facebook, attending a campus event together, visiting their Orientation classroom during the semester, etc.
- Be willing to help facilitate short interactive sessions on cultural awareness, alcohol and drug awareness prevention, active bystander education (e.g. how to safely intervene in situations of gender-based violence) and other helpful topics.
In general, good student leaders are cheerful, resourceful, and helpful to our incoming students.
They are also highly knowledgeable of WSU’s campus resources.
How to Apply
To apply for a position, complete the short online Student Orientation Leader Application.
The application can be completed in as little as five to 10 minutes.
The application window is open until March 14.
Note: The Warrior Success Center reserves the right to extend the application deadline, if needed.
Optional: You can request a WSU faculty or staff member serve as your reference by emailing this note to them:
"Hi, I am applying to become a WSU Student Leader to help incoming WSU students with their social and academic adjustment to campus. You can complete a short reference form for me."
Already submitted your application but need to go back and add or change details? Complete the Edit Application Form.