Become a Student Orientation Leader
During Welcome Week, student orientation leaders help incoming first-year students adjust socially and academically to Winona State University.
Student orientation leaders typically work with groups of about 20-30 first year students to help them get to know each other and learn about campus resources.
It’s a great opportunity to pass along insight and experience about campus life, current issues and expectations at WSU. Plus, you’ll benefit from:
- Earning a $200 scholarship
- Gaining practical leadership experience
- Building your resume
If this sounds appealing to you, consider applying to be a student orientation leader!
There are approximately 30 student orientation leader positions available each year.
To qualify for the position, you must meet these requirements:
- Have earned a minimum cumulative WSU GPA of 2.5.
- Be available for Leader training on Saturday, March 24 from 9am - 3:30pm.
- Be available for New Student Welcome Week to prepare for and to work with incoming first-year students Aug. 20 - 25 from 8am - 3:30pm. (Clarification: not needed Aug. 13-18 as this was an error message.)
- Connect with assigned students at least three times during Fall semester in any way. You could reach out using email, Facebook, attending a campus event together, visiting their Orientation classroom during the semester, etc.
- Be willing to help facilitate short interactive sessions on cultural awareness, alcohol and drug awareness prevention, active bystander education (how to safely intervene in situations of gender-based violence) and other helpful topics.
In general, good student leaders are cheerful, resourceful and helpful to our incoming students. They are also highly knowledgeable of WSU’s campus resources.
How to Apply
The application window for Fall 2018 orientation leaders is currently closed.A new round of hiring for student orientation leaders will begin in Spring 2019. If you'd like to learn more, please contact Wayne Wicka at firstname.lastname@example.org