Become a Student Orientation Leader
During Welcome Week, student orientation leaders help incoming first-year students adjust socially and academically to Winona State University.
Student orientation leaders typically work with groups of about 20-30 first year students to help them get to know each other and learn about campus resources.
It’s a great opportunity to pass along insight and experience about campus life, current issues and expectations at WSU. Plus, you’ll benefit from:
- Earning a $200 scholarship
- Gaining practical leadership experience
- Building your resume
If this sounds appealing to you, consider applying to be a student orientation leader!
There are approximately 30 student orientation leader positions available each year.
To qualify for the position, you must meet these requirements:
- Have earned a minimum cumulative WSU GPA of 2.5
- Be available for Leader training on Saturday, March 24 from 9am - 3:30pm
- Be available for New Student Welcome Week to prepare for and to work with incoming first-year students Aug. 20 - 25 from 8am - 3:30pm
- Connect with assigned students at least three times during Fall semester in any way. You could reach out using email, Facebook, attending a campus event together, visiting their Orientation classroom during the semester, etc.
- Be willing to help facilitate short interactive sessions on cultural awareness, alcohol and drug awareness prevention, active bystander education (how to safely intervene in situations of gender-based violence) and other helpful topics.
In general, good student leaders are cheerful, resourceful and helpful to our incoming students. They are also highly knowledgeable of WSU’s campus resources.
How to Apply
To apply for a position, complete the online Student Orientation Leader Application. It can be can be completed in as little as 10-15 minutes.
Applications are due by Feb. 20, 2018. The Warrior Success Center reserves the right to extend this deadline if necessary and at their discretion.Optional: You can request a WSU Faculty or Staff member serve as your reference by copying and pasting and emailing this blurb to them: I am applying to be become a WSU Student Leader to help incoming WSU students with their social and academic adjustment to campus. You can complete a short reference form for me here.
Edit your application here.
If you need additional information, please contact Kyleigh Nandory at email@example.com