The Business of Healthcare
The Business of Healthcare is an interprofessional faculty-led study abroad program in Paris open to all College of Business, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, and any other students interested in learning about healthcare in a foreign country.
Because healthcare does not exist in a vacuum, this course brings together major aspects of healthcare and how each interacts in an international context.
Major topics include: healthcare infrastructure including integrative health and public health, as well as nutrition, exercise, service, advertising, and other topics as needed.
The U.S. and France have different social and economic systems and different healthcare and hospital systems. As such, a comparison between French healthcare and US healthcare with a business/marketing/advertising lens will assist students in understanding the complexities of healthcare globally.
Students will receive information about French healthcare and its similarities and differences to US healthcare prior to departure. They will have several opportunities to visit various healthcare institutions, speak with local experts/residents and complete a windshield survey of Paris.
There is a language barrier, so students will need to have a basic French lesson prior to the trip. However, speaking English is a common practice in Paris. Students will also have their first lesson in Paris about health and safety in Paris.
Required course: HADM 376 (3 credits)
- Counts as an elective in MKTG, BUSA, MIS, and HR.
- Counts as credits toward students earning 150 credits in the ACTG degree.
- Counts as credits toward students earning 120 credits for graduation.
- This course may count as an elective for your major.
Talk with your academic advisor to learn more.
Optional Independent Study
3 credits may be available from your major
- Taking the optional independent study for 3 credits as part of this program will bring students to 6 credits in the summer term.
- This qualifies as a full load and would allow students to qualify for summer financial aid.
If interested in exploring this option, please contact the instructors directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Travel DatesMay 2022
- Two meals per day, with the exception of the free day.
- Accommodations, entry fees, company visits and briefings.
- International and local transportation.
- 24-hour emergency contacts and local guides.
- Health and safety briefing and orientation.
- 3-credit tuition; 3 elective credits.
To apply, visit the travel programs website.
Application help can be found in this step by step application instructions (PDF).
Financial aid may be available to eligible students.
For questions on financial aid or travel programs, contact Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Away for Faculty-led Programs, at 507.457.5081 or Kathy.Jicinsky@winona.edu
Check out this informational video from Business professor Dr. Jana Craft & Nursing professor Dr. Amy Koehler.