During this Spring Break, ride a rickshaw, climb the Great Wall, cruise the Huangpu River, visit the panda breeding center, tour businesses and experience Chinese culture. Visit business and cultural sites in 4 major Chinese cities from March 2 - March 11, 2018. Students in all majors are welcome!
Travel Study counts as 3 credits. Credits will count as general electives or credits in Business Administration major, Human Resources major or management minor. Pre-trip meetings prior to departure.
Some of the Travel Study highlights include:
- Beijing: Northern China, capital city/political center, home to many ancient cultural sites such as the Great Wall
- Chengdu: Southwest China, major economic and technology center, branches for over 250 Fortune 500 companies and home to Giant Pandas
- Shanghai & Suzhou: East China, China’s commercial and financial center, largest Chinese city fueled by economic development and modernization
ItineraryLeave the U.S. for China March 2, 2018.
Arrive in Beijing March 3
||Arrive in Beijing.|
||Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Flower market, rickshaw ride through Hutongs, Calligraphy class, lunch with local family, Urban Exhibition Center, Wal-Mart Store, Din sum dinner
||Great Wall, Ming Tombs & Sacred Way, Jade Factory, 2008 Olympic site, flight to Chengdu
Arrive in Chengdu March 6
||Giant Panda breeding research facility, Szechuan cooking class, New Century Center (world's largest building), hot pot
||Coke factory tour, Jinli or Broad Narrow Alley, People's Park, play mahjong at a tea house, flight to Shanghai, transfer to Suzhou
Arrive in Shanghai March 8
||Tour/presentation at RTP, lunch with RTP executives, Benchmark Electronics, transfer to Shanghai, The Bund
||GM-Shanghai Joint venture, Tour Starbucks Roastery and Tasting Room (world's largest - opening 2017), Tea Ceremony, FASTCO, ETA Time and Space show
||Shanghai Tower (world's 2nd-largest building), silk company, Renmin Park, Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall, Buddhist Longhua Temple, shopping, subway ride, Huangpu River night cruise
||Maglev Museum, Maglev train to airport, flight back to U.S.
|The 2017 cost was $3641 (after scholarship). The cost for 2018 has yet to be determined.
China Travel Study cost includes:
|• 4 Star-Hotel accommodations
• All meals
• Admission fees for all site visits
• Local transportation and tour guides
• Company visits and meetings
• Flights - International and between cities
• Visa and Travel insurance
• 3-credit course tuition for the Travel Study course
• *Each student will be awarded a $500 scholarship from the Business Administration Dept.
Financial aid may be available to eligible students.
For Financial Aid questions contact Dana Engel at DEngel@winona.edu, International Programs Maxwell Hall.