Chemistry Transfer Students
Transferring to Winona State University from a community or technical college to major in a chemistry program can be seamless if you plan correctly.
The Transfer Pathways Major Maps to can help you plan your semester schedules at WSU
- ACS Chemistry Major Map (PDF)
- Environmental Chemistry Major Map (PDF)
- General Chemistry Major Map (PDF)
- Materials Chemistry Major Map (PDF)
Below are some items to keep in mind while planning for your transfer to a WSU chemistry program:
- To earn a degree in a chemistry program, you must take chemistry courses during each of all four years
- Finishing in two additional years is possible if majors’ chemistry courses have been completed before transferring
- Ideally, a transfer student will have two years’ worth of chemistry classes completed before transferring- one year of general chemistry and one year of organic chemistry
- It is possible to graduate in two years if only one year of general chemistry has been completed but the final two years will be more challenging
Recommended courses prior to transfer to Winona State University:
- Principles of Chemistry I & II (CHEM 212 and 213)
- Principles of Organic Chemistry I & II (CHEM 350 and 351)
- Calculus I and II (MATH 212 and 213)
- University Physics I and II (PHYS 221 and 222)
The following table references the courses at some common two-year institutions that would be equivalent to the aforementioned courses for transfer to WSU’s Chemistry Program.
Information about additional programs can be found at Transferology.
Many two-year institutions offer chemistry courses that are not equivalent to the majors’ courses required.
Two-Year Institution Course Equivalents
General Chemistry Courses Equivalent to WSU's CHEM 212 and CHEM 213
|Inver Hills Community College||CHEM 1061||CHEM 1062|
|Normandale Community College||CHEM 1061||CHEM 1062|
|Riverland Community College||CHEM 1201||CHEM 1202|
|Rochester Community and Technical College||CHEM 1127||CHEM 1128|
Organic Chemistry Courses Equivalent to WSU's CHEM 350 and CHEM 351
|Inver Hills Community College||CHEM 2061||CHEM 2062|
|Normandale Community College||CHEM 2061||CHEM 2062|
|Riverland Community College||CHEM 2201||CHEM 2203|
|Rochester Community and Technical College||CHEM 2127||CHEM 2128|
Calculus Courses Equivalent to WSU's MATH 212 and MATH 213
|Inver Hills Community College||MATH 1133||MATH 1134|
|Normandale Community College||MATH 1510||MATH 1520|
|Riverland Community College||MATH 1210||MATH 1220|
|Rochester Community and Technical College||MATH 1127||MATH 1128|
Physics Courses Equivalent to WSU's PHYS 221 and PHYS 222
|Inver Hills Community College||PHYS 1081||PHYS 1082|
|Normandale Community College||PHYS 1121||PHYS 1122|
|Riverland Community College||PHYS 2101||PHYS 2102|
|Rochester Community and Technical College||PHYS 1127||PHYS 1128|
If you have questions please contact the Department of Chemistry.
You can also get more information about transferring to Winona State University from the Admissions Office. They can help you with a WSU Transfer Coursework Action Plan that you will find useful in transfer planning.