Connecting Home and School
We believe and research supports that children’s success is supported by a strong connection between home and school practices. We intentionally create this important link by:
- Sharing and collecting information with parents in a variety of ways
- Offering access to many campus and community resources
- Nurturing relationships between families, teachers and children
- Encouraging parents’ involvement with program decision-making activities.
See the Parent Handbook (PDF) for more detailed information.
Parent Advisory Committee (PAC)
The Parent Advisory Committee creates a mutually supportive partnership between WSU Children’s Center staff and families ensuring that we are united in our goals for a positive and engaging early childhood education and care experience for your child.
The PAC meets once a month. We encourage representation from each of our locations and classrooms to engage multiple points of view. The purpose of PAC is trifold:
- Support: Membership on the PAC is a way that parents/guardians can support teachers and the Children’s Center in a collaborative environment.
- Communication: The PAC is a forum for program focused additional communication with between teachers and/or administration, outside of the classroom; where parent/guardian perspectives from each classroom can be represented, and deeper relationships can develop through our collective work.
- Collaboration: Parents/guardians and staff will collaborate in by organizing fundraisers, family events, faculty appreciation events, parent volunteer days, and advising on policy recommendations.
Participation is voluntary. Ideally, we recruit one parent/guardian representative from each classroom who will commit to attending the monthly meetings. Meetings are open to all who wish to attend. The Program Coordinator or Director and the Family Support Coordinator shall be in attendance, as well as, at least one classroom teacher. We ask parent/guardian representatives to communicate with the families of their child's classroom monthly to collect any items to be added to the meeting agenda.
For more information on PAC and meeting dates/times please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507.457.2300.
Student Parent Group
The Student Parent Support Initiative program is a support community for pregnant and parenting students. Funded by the Minnesota Department of Health, the program provides resources and support to students as they balance life as a parent and as a college student.
We hope students receiving services maintain positive health and well being and sustain a healthy balance between work, school, home and family life.