Communication Studies - Leadership and Advocacy Option (CSL) - BA Major
45 S.H. (Minor Required)
Are you passionate about social change? Do you want to work as a leader in a nonprofit organization or church? Go to law school? The Leadership and Advocacy Option in the Communication Studies major will teach you how to be a successful communicator, advocate, and leader.
This option is designed to prepare you to take a leadership role in private, public and not-for-profit organizations. If you choose this option, you will learn how to reach appropriate audiences effectively, advocate on the behalf of others, develop messages to inform and persuade target audiences and identify problems and implement appropriate solutions. Special emphasis is placed on the use of computer mediated communication to communicate and network across a variety of settings. If you choose this option, you will be expected to:
- Create compelling, effective arguments;
- Analyze, create and adapt public messages;
- Identify and apply theories of leadership and persuasion;
- Be able to resolve conflict in a variety of settings through the use of conflict resolution strategies, mediation, assertion, arbitration, advocacy and third party negotiation; and
- Use computer mediated communication to effectively communicate and network in a variety of settings.
4-Year Major Map (PDF)