Diversity Summit Results
5. Engaging alumni with WSU community
There is a need and a great opportunity for connecting with our alumni around the topic of diversity. This includes connecting directly with alumni of various diverse groups and also connecting with alumni who are now living and/or working in diverse places or with diverse populations. Our former students can help our current students see the value of learning about diverse perspectives.
Specific recommendations for increasing engagement with alumni around diversity included:
- Bring diverse alumni to campus to meet with students. This would include meetings with diverse students and also meetings with non-specifically diverse groups, e.g., academic and social student clubs.
- Honor and recognize diverse alumni who have demonstrated success in their careers.
- Consider a spring event focused on alumni and diversity to complement Homecoming in the fall.
- Leverage technology and social media to connect with alumni around the topic of diversity, e.g., a YouTube video series of "how your WSU education prepared you for living and working in a diverse world".