Orientation & Pre-Arrival Info
We are glad that you will join the English Language Center (ELC) at Winona State University! To make your arrival to the university smooth and pleasant, please take a moment to read the following information carefully.
Reporting Date and Arrival Information
In the acceptance letter you received from the ELC, there are detailed instructions on how to get to the WSU campus from area airports, with a list of shuttle/bus services and times. Note that we do not pick up individual students during the academic year. We do pick up groups of cohorts by pre-arrangement who are traveling together in the summer.
As soon as you have booked your flight and have your travel plans figured out, send your Arrival Information Form (PDF) right away to ELC@winona.edu. Make sure you include your flight itinerary and shuttle information (flight number, date, airport and bus schedules).
Winona State International Services offers a greeting service when you arrive on campus using the bus shuttle service. If you would like to be greeted, make sure to indicate it on the Arrival Information Form (PDF).
WSU Housing Office also provides an off-campus housing list for students’ reference.
Things to Bring:
Please visit the Housing policies website for details. WSU does not provide bedding (sheets, blankets, pillows). Your options are:
- Bring your own.
- Buy bedding after you arrive. Shopping trips are scheduled during orientation week.
- We have worked with the Housing Office to let you buy your own bedding products (sheets, pillow case, towels, blanket) from local online stores and have them shipped to the Housing Office prior to your arrival if you plan to live on campus. You may purchase the bedding products from Target, Wal-Mart or Shopko. The size of bedding products is: extra-long twin. Please remember to use your real name (name on your passport) when you make your order. The Housing Office address is:
Winona State University, Housing Office
175 West Mark Street, Kryzsko Commons 235
Winona, MN 55987-5838, U.S.A.
Winona has a wide range of temperatures. In the winter it is cold, with 26° F (-3° C) the average high and an average low of 9° F (-13° C). In the summer the temperature range is a high of 85° F (30° C) to a low of 66° F (19° C). Make sure to come prepared with the appropriate shoes and clothing for this climate.
Winona State University is excited to welcome new international students. You will participate in a mandatory orientation which will cover information you need to know. During orientation, you will receive important information about how to navigate the campus and city, meet other international students, receive information about your classes, learn about mandatory MN Health Insurance and more.
You must report to the ELC office by Wednesday before classes begin. You will take a Placement test on the Friday before classes begin to determine your course level. More details about the orientation will be provided to you before you arrive on campus.
Important Contact Information
- The ELC office is located in Minné Hall 107. View the Campus Map (PDF) for assistance.
- More information about applying for your visa, how to travel to Winona and other arrival tips can be viewed on the International Services page.
- If you are calling from outside the U.S., please remember to dial +1 before the number.