Requirements for Admission
The English Language Center at Winona State University welcomes all students, international and domestic, whose first languages are not English. To be admitted to the ELC at WSU, students should meet the following requirements:
- Proof of high-school graduation
- At least two years of high school level English or higher
Admission to the ELC
To apply for admission to the ELC only, please send the following:
- A completed application form (PDF). (Please check ESL Training only).
- A non-refundable application fee of $20 U.S. dollars.
- Photocopy of your passport.
- Original Bank Statement(s) with a minimum balance of $23,181.00 US dollars. Bank statement(s) or Verification of Deposit(s) must be dated within six months of application date, must be originals, and should include information such as bank information, balance, currency and name of the account holder.
- Original or notarized letter from sponsor stating relationship, financial commitment and willingness to sponsor you.
- A certified true copy of your high school or college diploma.
- A record of two semesters of English courses at either high school or college.
- An immunization form.
Please send the application documents via an international mail carrier (FedEx or DHL) to:
Winona State University
Kryzsko Commons 233
175 West Mark Street
Winona, Minnesota 55987 USA
Applicants will receive an email when we receive your documents and when we issue your acceptance packet.
Pathway Program: Conditional Admission to WSU
Winona State University requires international students to have a certain level of English language proficiency. Students who are academically qualified for admission to WSU but need to improve English language skills can apply for Pathway admission. Students who are awarded conditional admission to WSU are placed in the Pathway program and take courses in the English Language Center. Depending on the language level, students will be placed in both ESL and academic courses. Successful completion of courses in the English Language Center is required for admission to WSU.
To begin taking academic courses, students must have one of the following requirements:
- A minimum IELTS score of 5.0 or TOEFL score of 60; or
- Successful completion of Level 2 or 3 English Language Center classes
To apply for the Pathway Program, please send the same items listed above (#1-8 under "Admission to the ELC") and also include your standardized test scores if you have them.
After successful completion of the ELC, students will be formally admitted to Winona State University; they are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
A student's exit status from the ELC is determined by a combination of factors:
- Passing grades (B/80% or higher) in all ELC classes
- Instructor recommendations and approval of the ELC Program Director
- Proficiency test scores
Admission to Graduate Programs
Students who wish to be admitted to graduate programs at WSU must apply directly to the academic department where the program in housed. To find out more about admission to a particular program and its application deadlines, please contact the department of the graduate program that you wish to apply to.
- For summer admission: May 1
- For fall admission: July 1
- For spring admission: Nov. 1
Once you are accepted to the ELC, you should complete an on-campus housing form. Visit Residential Life for more information.
ELC students are not required to live on campus. However, if you choose to live off campus, you are responsible for finding your own housing. In addition, the ELC does not offer home stays with American families.
There are three payment methods:
- Pay by Mail: Payment must be in the form of a check or money order in US dollars drawn from a US bank or a US affiliated bank. The check or the money order should be made payable to Winona State.
- University Pay Online: First, you need to have a Warrior ID number in order to pay online. Once you are accepted by the ELC, we will assign you a Warrior ID number. With the Warrior ID number and your password, you can log on to your personal page and make payment online. Deposit, tuition, and other fees can be paid through this method.
- Pay in Person: Tuition, room and board, and other fees can be paid in person once you arrive at Winona State. Please Note: Payment of tuition and all fees must be paid in full before you can register for classes.