Orientation & Pre-Arrival Info
We are glad that you will join English Language Programs (ELP) at Winona State University! To make your arrival to the university smooth and pleasant, please take a moment to read the following information carefully.
Orientation & Pre-Arrival Info
Winona State University is excited to welcome new international students. You will participate in a mandatory orientation which will cover information you need to know. During orientation, you will receive important information about how to navigate the campus and city, meet other international students, receive information about your classes, learn about mandatory MN Health Insurance and more.
You must report to the ELP office the week before classes begin. You will take a Placement test before classes begin to determine your course level. More details about the orientation will be provided to you before you arrive on campus.
Reporting Date and Arrival Information
In the acceptance letter you received from ELP, there are detailed instructions on how to get to the WSU campus from area airports, with a list of shuttle/bus services and times. Note that we do not pick up individual students during the academic year. We do pick up groups of cohorts by pre-arrangement who are traveling together in the summer.
As soon as you have booked your flight and have your travel plans figured out, send these details right away to ELP@winona.edu. Make sure you include your flight itinerary and shuttle information (flight number, date, airport and bus schedules).
Winona State International Student & Scholar Services offers a greeting service in the fall and spring semesters when you arrive on campus using the bus shuttle service. If you would like to be greeted, make sure to indicate it on the Arrival Information Form (PDF).
WSU Housing Office also provides an off-campus housing list for students’ reference.
Things to Bring
Please visit the Housing policies website for details. WSU does not provide bedding (sheets, blankets, pillows); although exceptions may be made to this policy in the summer. Your options are:
- Bring your own.
- Buy bedding after you arrive. Shopping trips are scheduled during orientation week.
- We have worked with the Housing Office to let you buy your own bedding products (sheets, pillow case, towels, blanket) from local online stores and have them shipped to the Housing Office prior to your arrival if you plan to live on campus. You may purchase the bedding products from Target, Wal-Mart or Shopko. The size of bedding products is: extra-long twin. Please remember to use your real name (name on your passport) when you make your order. The Housing Office address is:
Winona State University, Housing Office
175 West Mark Street, Kryzsko Commons 235
Winona, MN 55987-5838, U.S.A.
Winona has a wide range of temperatures. In the winter it is cold, with 26° F (-3° C) the average high and an average low of 9° F (-13° C). In the summer the temperature range is a high of 85° F (30° C) to a low of 66° F (19° C). Make sure to come prepared with the appropriate shoes and clothing for this climate.
Important Contact Information
- The ELP office is located in Maxwell 130. View the Campus Map (PDF) for assistance.
- More information about applying for your visa, how to travel to Winona and other arrival tips can be viewed on the International Student & Scholar Services page.
- If you are calling from outside the U.S., please remember to dial +1 before the number.
- Pay by Mail: Payment must be in the form of a check or money order in US dollars drawn from a US bank or a US affiliated bank. The check or the money order should be made payable to Winona State.
- University Pay Online: First, you need to have a Warrior ID number in order to pay online. Once you are accepted by the ELP, we will assign you a Warrior ID number. With the Warrior ID number and your password, you can log on to your personal page and make payment online. Deposit, tuition, and other fees can be paid through this method.
- Pay in Person: Tuition, room and board, and other fees can be paid in person once you arrive at Winona State. Please Note: Payment of tuition and all fees must be paid in full before you can register for classes.
- Pay by Wire Transfer: Please check with Student Accounts or ELP staff.