The following English Department students received awards for 2019-2020.
English Department Distinguished Student Award: Renant Hubbard
The Distinguished Student is selected by faculty vote to honor the graduating senior who has distinguished themselves throughout their academic program and has shown the most promise as a student of English.
Outstanding Students (University Honors Recognition - Spring Semester)
- Applied & Professional Writing: Rowan Brunelle
- Applied Linguistics: Chad Herbst
- Communication Arts & Literature (Teaching): Kelly Ries
- Film Studies: Madeline Peterson
- Literature & Language: Renant Hubbard
- Teaching English as a Second Language: Cambria Shepherd
- Writing: Dahlia Garofalo
Each semester, the department members select the outstanding student in each of the two licensure programs and the other English programs combined. These students are honored at the Evening of Distinction ceremony during the week of graduation.
Sandra Adickes Outstanding Freshman Essay: Kylie Estebo (Research) & Jaden Solari (Non-Research)
All students enrolled in ENG 111 (College Reading and Writing) and ENG 112 (Research Writing) are eligible to have their essays reviewed by a department subcommittee, which selects the most outstanding essays in the categories of research and non-research.
Outstanding Portfolio: Dahlia Garofalo
All English majors are required to compile and submit a portfolio of their academic work during the semester that they graduate. Department members review the portfolios and select the most outstanding ones for this award.
The following students were awarded English Department scholarships for 2019-2020.
- Alma Smith Scholarship: Loralee Arbanas
- Cornwell Family Scholarship: Dylan Johnson
- Darlene Radsek Scholarship: Megan Martin
- James W. & Ann Eljenholm Nichols Scholarship: Ryanne Mikunda and Jacelyn Schley
- Leslie & Gladys (Sanford) King Scholarship: Emily Cormier
- Marion J. Deeren Scholarship: Kristen Carrie and Madison Warder
- Sylvia Bremer Memorial Scholarship: Anna Dunnum