WSU Campus Comprehensive Master Plan
Winona State University has finalized the 2017 campus facilities master plan. RDG Planning & Design of Des Moines, Iowa served as the consultant for the 14-month process. WSU simultaneously developed landscape and athletic facility plans.
Master plans are developed to support the short- and long-term goals of WSU and its mission. The master plan includes information about existing buildings, facilities and property and their current use. The plan also explores options for expansion, growth or changes for the future as they relate to the WSU mission.
Master plans of this nature are guidelines for an institution, and not a hard and fast rule. Hence, Minnesota State institutions revisit and update master plans every five years to ensure the plans align with the ever-changing goals and expectations of the institution.
2016 Master Plan Schedule (PDF)
RDG will host three workshop sessions for input and feedback. The final report will be presented to Minnesota State trustees in April 2016.
Workshop 1 Summary
Input received from:
- Athletics – students, coaches administration
- University Advancement
- WSU Arboretum and Sustainability committees
- Colleges of Business, Education, Liberal Arts, Nursing and Science & Education
- Information Technology
- Finance and Facilities
- Academic Affairs
- Marketing and Communications
Common Themes that emerged
- Insufficient infrastructure (power/data/etc.) to support tech integration among students
- Student Interaction/Lounge spaces
- Concerns regarding Rochester campus
- More space/Quality of space
- Converted/upgraded classroom space to support collaborative teaching methods
- Outdoor education space for all – not reserved
Workshop 2 Summary
Input received from:
- University Deans
- College of Business
- Parking & Transportation
- Registrar's office
- Office of Information Technology
- Office of Finance and Administration
- Facilities Management
- Further clarification of primary facility needs on campus
- Review of initial space analysis summary
- Review of initial classroom and laboratory utilization summary
- Held All Campus Gallery Walk to allow the general campus a chance to ask questions about the initial plan findings
All Campus Update Meeting Feb. 10, 2016
About RDG Planning & Design
Winona State's planning partner, RDG, provided the following information about the company:
From our newest team members to the founding principals who began their practices in the 1960s, RDG Planning & Design is a multifaceted network of design and planning professionals. Diverse in knowledge and experience, we are united in the pursuit of meaning for our clients and ourselves. Officially formed in 1989 as the Renaissance Design Group and crafted to bring well established firms together into practice, our two business centers of RDG IA Inc. and RDG SWB Inc., create one distinct organization with the shared purpose of creating meaning together.
Creation is a result of every interaction with our clients and those they serve. Ultimately, we help create lasting relationships between people and the places they live and love. Creation is our passion.
We find meaning in relationships, and in people and the deep connections they have to their environments. When we find meaning, we achieve a deeper understanding of how to create the very best spaces to work, live, and play. Meaning is our why.
The most important member of our team is you. You know your needs better than anyone else, and you’re the advocate for the effort because you’ll love and care for your space long after we celebrate its completion. Together is our how.
Fifty years of dedication to success have taken us around the world. Today, our commitment to communication and technology allows us to engage our clients anywhere they may be from our offices in Omaha, Nebraska; Ames and Des Moines, Iowa; and Ft. Myers, Florida. We’re free from boundaries and able to work on a regional, national, or global scale. Our interdisciplinary approach allows us to integrate our broad areas of expertise and apply the right team members to any given endeavor.