Helping Your Student Succeed
The transition from being primarily a parent to your student to being a supportive partner in their success can be challenging.
You know that your student needs to learn confidence and independence but you are still a parent at heart. With that comes worry about their grades, their health, their friendships, their career after graduation and more.
Encourage your student to take these three steps to ensure that they graduate successfully and also enjoy their experience at WSU.
If you still have some questions or don't see what you're looking for, check out Ask WSU. This online help center provides answers to many frequently asked questions and offers a live chat feature.
Several departments at WSU have staff dedicated to helping students achieve the goals they have set for themselves:
- Advising Services can help students choose a major and make sure they stay on track to graduation
- Career Services provides guidance and connections to employers for internships and work experiences while in school
- Access Services serves students with qualified disabilities
- Tutoring Services offers academic assistance for any student who requires help
- Student Support Services (SSS) focuses on first generation, low income or students with a documented disability to help them through to graduation
Pursue New Experiences
There are more than 180 clubs and organizations on campus that welcome all students. Student clubs & organizations are a great way to for your student to meet new people and learn new things about themselves.
Invite your student to take advantage of these opportunities to interact with people from different backgrounds and with those who have other points of view.
Turn to Campus Resources
WSU offers resources for students beyond academic and career services to help students succeed in all areas of their lives. A few of these support services include:
- Counseling & Wellness Services, which provides professional counselors to help students learn new skills and aid them in achieving their goals
- Health Services, where students can access primary medical care with health issues from flu shots to physical exams.
- WSU Security, which ensures that the campus community remains safe and secure. They offer personal safety resources and escort services on campus and to off-campus locations.