Instructions on Applying for a Federal Direct Loan
- Log into Student e-Services
- Under Financial Aid Award, click on Loans
- You will see 5 tabs at the top of the screen
- The first tab, Loan Period, make sure that you have the correct award year.
- On the second tab, Pre-Requirements, if you have borrowed previously, it will tell you that you have fulfilled these requirements. If you are a first time borrower, it will tell you that you will need to do entrance counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and direct you to the StudentLoan.gov website. It can take up to three business days for this tab to update that you have completed these requirements.
- On the third tab, Loan Application, you will need to select how much of the loan that you want.
- The fourth tab, Submission, you will need to read the information and submit your loan request. It takes a few seconds for the submission to go through.
- The fifth tab, Loan Status, is where you can track the status of your loan. Right after you submit your loan request your loan status will say processing. It will continue to say processing until the loan is certified.
- Winona State will then certify and disburse your loan onto your student account. It can take up to two weeks for your loan to certify.